Regime-switching volatility of six East Asian emerging markets
AbstractThis paper investigates regime-switching behaviour in the return-generating processes of six East Asian emerging stock markets over the period from 1970 to 2004 and examines the specific characteristics of each regime by utilizing Markov-switching variance models. The results show very strong evidence of more than one regime in each of these stock markets. In addition, the conditional probabilities of each regime derived from the model provide mixed evidence regarding the impact of financial liberalization on return volatility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research in International Business and Finance.
Volume (Year): 22 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ribaf
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giorgio De Santis & Selahattin Imrohoroglu, 1994.
"Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- De Santis, Giorgio & imrohoroglu, Selahattin, 1997. "Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 561-579, August.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2000. "Stock Market Liberalization, Economic Reform, and Emerging Market Equity Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 529-564, 04.
- Hamilton, James D. & Susmel, Raul, 1994.
"Autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity and changes in regime,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 307-333.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate Hamilton-Susmel Markov Switching ARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00083, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sang W. Kim & John H. Rogers, 1995.
"International stock price spillovers and market liberalization: evidence from Korea, Japan, and the United States,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
499, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kim, Sang W. & Rogers, John H., 1995. "International stock price spillovers and market liberalization: Evidence from Korea, Japan, and the United States," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 117-133, June.
- Kim, S.W. & Rogers, J.H., 1993. "International Stock Price Spillovers and Market Liberalization: Evidence from Korea, Japan, and the United States," Papers 4-93-7, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Francis E. Warnock & Hali J. Edison, 2001.
"A Simple Measure of the intensity of Capital Controls,"
IMF Working Papers
01/180, International Monetary Fund.
- Edison, Hali J. & Warnock, Francis E., 2003. "A simple measure of the intensity of capital controls," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 81-103, February.
- Hali J. Edison & Francis E. Warnock, 2001. "A simple measure of the intensity of capital controls," International Finance Discussion Papers 708, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1997.
"Foreign Speculators and Emerging Equity Markets,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
79, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Cunado, Juncal & Gomez Biscarri, Javier & Perez de Gracia, Fernando, 2006. "Changes in the dynamic behavior of emerging market volatility: Revisiting the effects of financial liberalization," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 261-278, September.
- Li, Ming-Yuan Leon & Lin, Hsiou-Wei William, 2003. " Examining the Volatility of Taiwan Stock Index Returns Via a Three-Volatility-Regime Markov-Switching ARCH Model," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 123-39, September.
- René Garcia, 1995.
"Asymptotic Null Distribution of the Likelihood Ratio Test in Markov Switching Models,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Garcia, Rene, 1998. "Asymptotic Null Distribution of the Likelihood Ratio Test in Markov Switching Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(3), pages 763-88, August.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1997.
"Emerging Equity Market Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
5307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992. "The Likelihood Ratio Test under Nonstandard Conditions: Testing the Markov Switching Model of GNP," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S61-82, Suppl. De.
- Anthony J. Richards, 1996.
"Volatility and Predictability in National Stock Markets: How Do Emerging and Mature Markets Differ?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(3), pages 461-501, September.
- Anthony J. Richards, 1996. "Volatility and Predictability in National Stock Markets: How Do Emerging and Mature Markets Differ?," IMF Working Papers 96/29, International Monetary Fund.
- Brian J. Aitken, 1996. "Have Institutional Investors Destabilized Emerging Markets?," IMF Working Papers 96/34, International Monetary Fund.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Biscarri, Javier Gomez & Perez de Gracia, Fernando, 2003.
"Stock market cycles, financial liberalization and volatility,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 925-955, December.
- Sebastian Edwards & Javier Gómez Biscarri & Fernando Pérez de Gracia, 2003. "Stock Market Cycles, Financial Liberalization and Volatility," Faculty Working Papers 08/03, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Sebastian Edwards & Javier Gomez Biscarri & Fernando Perez de Gracia, 2003. "Stock Market Cycles, Financial Liberalization and Volatility," NBER Working Papers 9817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aggarwal, Reena & Inclan, Carla & Leal, Ricardo, 1999. "Volatility in Emerging Stock Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 33-55, March.
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert, 2002. "International Asset Allocation With Regime Shifts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(4), pages 1137-1187.
- Morana, Claudio & Beltratti, Andrea, 2002. "The effects of the introduction of the euro on the volatility of European stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 2047-2064, October.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 2002. "Research in emerging markets finance: looking to the future," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 429-448, December.
- Ajit Singh, 1998.
"Financial liberalisation, stockmarkets and economic development,"
Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 8(1), pages 165-182.
- Singh, Ajit, 1997. "Financial Liberalisation, Stockmarkets and Economic Development," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 771-82, May.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Walid, Chkili & Chaker, Aloui & Masood, Omar & Fry, John, 2011. "Stock market volatility and exchange rates in emerging countries: A Markov-state switching approach," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 272-292, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.