Predicting bankruptcy in the Texas nursing facility industry
AbstractApproximately 50% of nursing facilities in Texas petitioned for bankruptcy during the 1998-2004 period. Using a logit regression model tested for robustness, we find nursing facilities that are profit-seekers, chain members, pay higher than average wage rates, accept more intensive-care residents and obtain a larger than average portion of their funding from public sources are highly vulnerable to negative changes in regulatory policy decisions on Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement. Larger facilities having higher than average occupancy rates and quality of care are less susceptible to adverse decisions. The model correctly classifies a facility as either bankrupt or solvent in about 75% of cases. We also examine the duration of bankruptcy using accelerated failure-time models. It appears that the duration of bankruptcy depends on location, out-of-state ownership, length of ownership, volume of resident days supplied, total cost and proportion of revenues from Medicaid.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 49 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620167
Bankrupt Nursing facilities Logit regression;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- O. David Gulley & Rexford E. Santerre, 2003. "The Effect of Public Policies on Nursing Home Care in the United States," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 29(1), pages 93-104, Winter.
- Lau, Lawrence J & Yotopoulos, Pan A, 1971. "A Test for Relative Efficiency and Application to Indian Agriculture," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 94-109, March.
- John J. McConnell & Ronald C. Lease & Elizabeth Tashjian, 1996. "Prepacks As A Mechanism For Resolving Financial Distress: The Evidence," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 8(4), pages 99-106.
- Arturo Estrella, 1997.
"A new measure of fit for equations with dichotomous dependent variables,"
9716, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Estrella, Arturo, 1998. "A New Measure of Fit for Equations with Dichotomous Dependent Variables," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 198-205, April.
- Rousseeuw, Peter J. & Christmann, Andreas, 2003. "Robustness against separation and outliers in logistic regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 315-332, July.
- Kris Knox & Eric Blankmeyer & J. Stutzman, 2007. "Technical efficiency in texas nursing facilities: A stochastic production frontier approach," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 75-86, March.
- Yotopoulos, Pan A & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "A Test for Relative Economic Efficiency: Some Further Results," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(1), pages 214-23, March.
- Kris Knox & Eric Blankmeyer & J. Stutzman, 1999. "Relative economic efficiency in Texas nursing facilities: A profit function analysis," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 199-213, September.
- David C. Grabowski, 2001. "Does an Increase in the Medicaid Reimbursement Rate Improve Nursing Home Quality?," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 56(2), pages S84-S93.
- Croux, Christophe & Haesbroeck, Gentiane, 1999. "Influence Function and Efficiency of the Minimum Covariance Determinant Scatter Matrix Estimator," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 161-190, November.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Abbas, Qaiser & Rashid, Abdul, 2011. "Modeling Bankruptcy Prediction for Non-Financial Firms: The Case of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 28161, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.