The Effect of Public Policies on Nursing Home Care in the United States
AbstractGiven demographic trends, public policies in the future may be aimed at stimulating the availability of nursing home care in the U.S. This paper estimates how certificate of need laws, Medicaid reimbursement rates, and state corporate income tax rates affect the availability of nursing home care in markets throughout the U.S. The results indicate that the Medicaid reimbursement rate directly affects the availability of nursing home care. The findings also suggest that the state corporate tax rate inversely influences the provision of nursing care. Finally, the availability of nursing care is not affected by the presence of certificate of need laws.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eastern Economic Association in its journal Eastern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 29 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o Dr. Alexandre Olbrecht, The Anisfield School of Business 205, Ramapo College, 505 Ramapo Valley Road, Ramapo, New Jersey 07430, USA
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: http://www.ramapo.edu/eea/journal.html
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gulley, O. David & Santerre, Rexford E., 1993. "The Effect of Tax Exemption on the Market Share of Nonprofit Hospitals," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 46(4), pages 477-86, December.
- Meiners, Mark R., 1982. "An econometric analysis of the major determinants of nursing home costs in the United States," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(8), pages 887-898, January.
- Lynk, William J, 1995. "Nonprofit Hospital Mergers and the Exercise of Market Power," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 437-61, October.
- Knox, Kris Joseph & Blankmeyer, Eric C. & Trinidad, José A. & Stutzman, J.R., 2009. "Predicting bankruptcy in the Texas nursing facility industry," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 1047-1064, August.
- Rexford E. Santerre & John A. Vernon, 2005. "Testing for Ownership Mix Efficiency: The Case of the Nursing Home Industry," NBER Working Papers 11115, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.