Performance evaluation of SCM in JIT environment
AbstractUnder stochastic demand and deterministic processing times, we discussed a single-stage JIT production system with the production-ordering and supplier kanbans and derived a probability generating function (p.g.f.) of the stationary distributions of the backlogged demand. In this paper, we extend the system to supply chain management (SCM) in JIT environment with two kinds of kanbans under stochastic demand, deterministic processing times and withdrawals with lead time. These conditions are more realistic than the previous papers. We develop an algorithm for the exact performance evaluation of the SCM such as the stationary distributions of the inventory level, production quantities and total backlogged demand in each stage, using discrete-time Markov process. Optimal numbers of two kinds of kanbans in the system are determined by minimizing a general total cost function. Numerical examples are given to show the efficiency of the proposed approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 115 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
JIT Kanban control Performance evaluation Stochastic model;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Luc Deleersnyder & Thom J. Hodgson & Henri Muller-Malek & Peter J. O'Grady, 1989. "Kanban Controlled Pull Systems: An Analytic Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(9), pages 1079-1091, September.
- Debasis Mitra & Isi Mitrani, 1990. "Analysis of a Kanban Discipline for Cell Coordination in Production Lines. I," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(12), pages 1548-1566, December.
- Sridhar R. Tayur, 1993. "Structural Properties and a Heuristic for Kanban-Controlled Serial Lines," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(11), pages 1347-1368, November.
- Lo, Chris K.Y. & Yeung, Andy C.L. & Cheng, T.C.E., 2009. "ISO 9000 and supply chain efficiency: Empirical evidence on inventory and account receivable days," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 367-374, April.
- Garcia, Fernanda A. & Marchetta, Martin G. & Camargo, Mauricio & Morel, Laure & Forradellas, Raymundo Q., 2012. "A framework for measuring logistics performance in the wine industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 284-298.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.