On Lempel–Ziv complexity for multidimensional data analysis
AbstractIn this paper, a natural extension of the Lempel–Ziv complexity for several finite-time sequences, defined on finite size alphabets is proposed. Some results on the defined joint Lempel–Ziv complexity are given, as well as properties in connection with the Lempel–Ziv complexity of the individual sequences. Also, some links with Shannon entropies are exhibited and, by analogy, some derived quantities are proposed. Lastly, the potential use of the extended complexities for data analysis is illustrated on random boolean networks and on a proposed multidimensional extension of the minority game.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 345 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Complexity measures; Lempel–Ziv complexity; Shannon entropy; Nonlinear deterministic multidimensional systems; Random boolean network; Minority game;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Challet, D. & Zhang, Y.-C., 1997. "Emergence of cooperation and organization in an evolutionary game," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 246(3), pages 407-418.
- Damien Challet & Matteo Marsili & Gabriele Ottino, 2004.
"Shedding light on El Farol,"
Game Theory and Information
- Challet, Damien & Marsili, M & Ottino, Gabriele, 2004. "Shedding light on El Farol," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 332(C), pages 469-482.
- Torres, M.E. & Gamero, L.G., 2000. "Relative complexity changes in time series using information measures," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 286(3), pages 457-473.
- Ballesteros, Fernando J & Luque, Bartolo, 2002. "Random Boolean networks response to external periodic signals," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 313(3), pages 289-300.
- Luque, Bartolo & Solé, Ricard V., 2000. "Lyapunov exponents in random Boolean networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 284(1), pages 33-45.
- Rajković, Milan & Mihailović, Zoran, 2003. "Quantifying complexity in the minority game," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 325(1), pages 40-47.
- Rajković, Milan, 2000. "Extracting meaningful information from financial data," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 287(3), pages 383-395.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.