Utility representation theorems for Debreu separable preorders
AbstractWe prove the existence of arbitrary (resp., semicontinuous, continuous) utility representations for arbitrary (resp., semicontinuous, continuous) preorders satisfying some weakened Debreu order separability conditions. In this way we widely generalize a classical result for total preorders that essentially is due to Debreu.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Mathematical Economics.
Volume (Year): 48 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco
Debreu separability; Weak Debreu separability; Topological space; Continuous preorder; Utility function; Open decreasing set; Separable system;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmeidler, David, 1971.
"A Condition for the Completeness of Partial Preference Relations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 39(2), pages 403-04, March.
- SCHMEIDLER, David, . "A condition for the completeness of partial preference relations," CORE Discussion Papers RP -86, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Herden, G., 1989. "On the existence of utility functions ii," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 107-117, October.
- Herden, Gerhard & Pallack, Andreas, 2002. "On the continuous analogue of the Szpilrajn Theorem I," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 115-134, March.
- Mas-Colell, Andrew, 1974. "An equilibrium existence theorem without complete or transitive preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 237-246, December.
- Itzhak Gilboa & Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & David Schmeidler, 2010.
"Objective and Subjective Rationality in a Multiple Prior Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 78(2), pages 755-770, 03.
- Itzhak Gilboa & Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & David Schmeidler, 2008. "Objective and Subjective Rationality in a Multiple Prior Model," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 73, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2008.
- Peleg, Bezalel, 1970. "Utility Functions for Partially Ordered Topological Spaces," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(1), pages 93-96, January.
- Herden, G., 1989. "On the existence of utility functions," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 297-313, June.
- Alcantud, J. C. R. & Rodriguez-Palmero, C., 1999. "Characterization of the existence of semicontinuous weak utilities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 503-509, December.
- Giarlotta, Alfio & Greco, Salvatore, 2013. "Necessary and possible preference structures," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 163-172.
- Alcantud, José Carlos R. & Bosi, Gianni & Zuanon, Magalì, 2013. "Representations of preorders by strong multi-objective functions," MPRA Paper 52329, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.