An analysis of fishing capacity in the western and central Pacific Ocean tuna fishery and management implications
AbstractRecent increases in the volume of canning grade tuna caught in the Western and Central Pacific Ocean (WCPO) have led to concern about the increasing catching capacity of the fleet of purse seine vessels operating in the fishery. In this paper, data envelopment analysis is used to examine the current technical efficiency of the WCPO purse seine fleet, the potential catching capacity of the fleet and the excess capacity currently present in the fishery. These estimates are then used to examine possible implications of a move to a management regime based on limiting the total number of fishing days in the fishery.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Marine Policy.
Volume (Year): 27 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/marpol
Fishing capacity Tuna purse fishery Western and Central Pacific Ocean;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ronald G. Felthovan & William C. Horrace & Kurt E. Schnier, 2006.
"Estimating Heterogeneous Capacity and Capacity Utilization in a Multi-Species Fishery,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
86, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Ronald Felthoven & William Horrace & Kurt Schnier, 2009. "Estimating heterogeneous capacity and capacity utilization in a multi-species fishery," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 173-189, December.
- Pascoe, Sean & Tingley, Diana, 2006. "Economic capacity estimation in fisheries: A non-parametric ray approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 124-138, May.
- Pascoe, Sean & Hutton, Trevor & van Putten, Ingrid & Dennis, Darren & Skewes, Tim & Plagányi, Éva & Deng, Roy, 2013. "DEA-based predictors for estimating fleet size changes when modelling the introduction of rights-based management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 230(3), pages 681-687.
- Szakiel, Stephanie & Che, Nhu & Gooday, Peter & Elliston, Lisa, 2006. "Measuring Capacity in Commonwealth Fisheries," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 139908, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.