Do infrastructures influence the convergence of efficiency in Mexico?
AbstractThe aim of this study is to identify disparities in technical efficiency and the influence of infrastructure on the convergence in efficiency for the states of Mexico. It has estimated a translog production function following the model by Battese & Coelli (1995). The results show that public investment has helped increase the efficient use of factors and reveal that there are opportunities to increase the pace of growth. The analysis of convergence allows us to determine that the catching up is more intensive among groups of states, and positively influenced by the infrastructure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Policy Modeling.
Volume (Year): 32 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505735
Stochastic frontier Technical efficiency and productivity Convergence Economic growth;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Estache, Antonio & Gonzalez, Marianela & Trujillo,Lourdes, 2007.
"Government expenditures on education, health, and infrastructure : a naive look at levels, outcomes, and efficiency,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4219, The World Bank.
- Estache, A. & Gonzalez, M. & Trujillo, L., 2007. "Government expenditure on education, health and infrastructure: a naive look at levels, outcomes and efficiency," Working Papers 07/03, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Jonathan R. W. Temple, 1998. "Robustness tests of the augmented Solow model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 361-375.
- David Alan Aschauer, 1998.
"Public Capital and Economic Growth: Issues of Quantity, Finance, and Efficiency,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_233, Levy Economics Institute.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 2000. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: Issues of Quantity, Finance, and Efficiency," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 391-406, January.
- David Aschauer, 1998. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: Issues of Quantity, Finance, and Efficiency," Macroeconomics 9805016, EconWPA.
- Jose Miguel Albala-Bertrand & Emmanouel C. Mamatzakis, 2001.
"The Impact of Public Infrastructure on the Productivity of the Chilean Economy,"
435, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- JosÈ M. Albala-Bertrand & Emmanuel C. Mamatzakis, 2004. "The Impact of Public Infrastructure on the Productivity of the Chilean Economy," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 266-278, 05.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Weil, David N, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-37, May.
- Islam, Nazrul, 1995. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1127-70, November.
- Sangho Kim & Jaewoon Koo & Young Hoon Lee, 1999. "Infrastructure And Production Efficiency: An Analysis On The Korean Manufacturing Industry," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(3), pages 390-400, 07.
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- Joaquin Maudos & Jose Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2000. "Efficiency and Productive Specialization: An Application to the Spanish Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 829-842.
- World Bank, 2007. "World Development Indicators 2007," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 8150, October.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, Jose Manuel & Serrano, Lorenzo, 1999. "Total factor productivity measurement and human capital in OECD countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 39-44, April.
- Trujillo, Lourdes & Martin, Noelia & Estache, Antonio & Campos, Javier, 2002. "Macroeconomics effects of private sector participation in Latin America's infrastructure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2906, The World Bank.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Inmaculada C. Alvarez Ayuso & Osvaldo U. Becerril Torres & Laura E. del Moral Barrera, 2011. "The effect of infrastructures on total factor productivity and its determinants: a study on Mexico," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 26(1), pages 97-122.
- Germaschewski, Yin, 2013. "Reserve financing and government infrastructure investment: An application to China," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 992-1013.
- Ipatova, Irina & Peresetsky, Аnatoly, 2013. "Technical efficiency of Russian plastic and rubber production firms," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 32(4), pages 71-92.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.