Do infrastructures influence the convergence of efficiency in Mexico?
AbstractThe aim of this study is to identify disparities in technical efficiency and the influence of infrastructure on the convergence in efficiency for the states of Mexico. It has estimated a translog production function following the model by Battese & Coelli (1995). The results show that public investment has helped increase the efficient use of factors and reveal that there are opportunities to increase the pace of growth. The analysis of convergence allows us to determine that the catching up is more intensive among groups of states, and positively influenced by the infrastructure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Policy Modeling.
Volume (Year): 32 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505735
Stochastic frontier Technical efficiency and productivity Convergence Economic growth;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Weil, David N, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-37, May.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Joaquin Maudos & Jose Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2000. "Efficiency and Productive Specialization: An Application to the Spanish Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 829-842.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Salinas-Jimenez, M del Mar & Salinas-Jimenez, Javier, 2007. "Corruption, efficiency and productivity in OECD countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 903-915.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Trujillo, Lourdes & Martin, Noelia & Estache, Antonio & Campos, Javier, 2002. "Macroeconomics effects of private sector participation in Latin America's infrastructure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2906, The World Bank.
- JosÈ M. Albala-Bertrand & Emmanuel C. Mamatzakis, 2004.
"The Impact of Public Infrastructure on the Productivity of the Chilean Economy,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 266-278, 05.
- Jose Miguel Albala-Bertrand & Emmanouel C. Mamatzakis, 2001. "The Impact of Public Infrastructure on the Productivity of the Chilean Economy," Working Papers 435, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- David Alan Aschauer, 1998.
"Public Capital and Economic Growth: Issues of Quantity, Finance, and Efficiency,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_233, Levy Economics Institute.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 2000. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: Issues of Quantity, Finance, and Efficiency," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 391-406, January.
- David Aschauer, 1998. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: Issues of Quantity, Finance, and Efficiency," Macroeconomics 9805016, EconWPA.
- Estache, A. & Gonzalez, M. & Trujillo, L., 2007.
"Government expenditure on education, health and infrastructure: a naive look at levels, outcomes and efficiency,"
07/03, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Estache, Antonio & Gonzalez, Marianela & Trujillo,Lourdes, 2007. "Government expenditures on education, health, and infrastructure : a naive look at levels, outcomes, and efficiency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4219, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2007. "World Development Indicators 2007," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 8150, July.
- Sangho Kim & Jaewoon Koo & Young Hoon Lee, 1999. "Infrastructure And Production Efficiency: An Analysis On The Korean Manufacturing Industry," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(3), pages 390-400, 07.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1994.
"Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence,"
Economics Working Papers
104, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier X., 1996. "Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1325-1352, June.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1994. "Regional Cohesion: Evidence and Theories of Regional Growth and Convergence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1075, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, Jose Manuel & Serrano, Lorenzo, 1999. "Total factor productivity measurement and human capital in OECD countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 39-44, April.
- Islam, Nazrul, 1995. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1127-70, November.
- Jonathan R. W. Temple, 1998. "Robustness tests of the augmented Solow model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 361-375.
- Brock, Gregory & German-Soto, Vicente, 2013. "Regional industrial growth in Mexico: Do human capital and infrastructure matter?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 228-242.
- Inmaculada C. Alvarez Ayuso & Osvaldo U. Becerril Torres & Laura E. del Moral Barrera, 2011. "The effect of infrastructures on total factor productivity and its determinants: a study on Mexico," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 26(1), pages 97-122.
- Ipatova, Irina & Peresetsky, Аnatoly, 2013. "Technical efficiency of Russian plastic and rubber production firms," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 32(4), pages 71-92.
- Germaschewski, Yin, 2013. "Reserve financing and government infrastructure investment: An application to China," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 992-1013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.