Modeling fixed-charge problems with polynomials
AbstractIn this paper we formulate fixed-charge problems with polynomials. Using polynomial formulations we show structural similarity between different kinds of linear and fixed charge formulations. We also show the benefits of applying polynomial formulation for finding an approximate solution for problems where no algorithms exist and in some cases for developing a method to provide direct solutions to those problems. The main benefit of this paper is better understanding of the fixed-charge function structure and better explanation of the local and global minima phenomena. We present a numerical example to illustrate applications of the proposed method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Warren E. Walker, 1976. "A Heuristic Adjacent Extreme Point Algorithm for the Fixed Charge Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(5), pages 587-596, January.
- Sun, Minghe & Aronson, Jay E. & McKeown, Patrick G. & Drinka, Dennis, 1998. "A tabu search heuristic procedure for the fixed charge transportation problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 106(2-3), pages 441-456, April.
- Udatta S. Palekar & Mark H. Karwan & Stanley Zionts, 1990. "A Branch-and-Bound Method for the Fixed Charge Transportation Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(9), pages 1092-1105, September.
- Caramia, M. & Guerriero, F., 2009. "A heuristic approach to long-haul freight transportation with multiple objective functions," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 600-614, June.
- Adlakha, Veena & Kowalski, Krzysztof & Lev, Benjamin, 2010. "A branching method for the fixed charge transportation problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 393-397, October.
- Adlakha, Veena & Kowalski, Krzysztof, 2003. "A simple heuristic for solving small fixed-charge transportation problems," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 205-211, June.
- Kowalski, Krzysztof & Lev, Benjamin, 2008. "On step fixed-charge transportation problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 913-917, October.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil & Christiansen, Marielle & Magnus Hvattum, Lars & Johnsen, Trond A.V. & Vabø, Thor J., 2010. "A decision support methodology for strategic planning in maritime transportation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 465-474, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.