The single-period inventory problem: Extension to random yield from the perspective of the supply chain
AbstractA special form of the single-period inventory problem (newsvendor problem) with a known demand and stochastic supply (yield) is studied. A general analytic solution for two types of yield risks, additive and multiplicative, is described. Numerical examples demonstrate the solutions for special cases of uniform distribution yield risks. An analysis of a two-tier supply chain of customer and producer reveals that the customer may find it optimal to order more than is needed, since a larger order increases the producer's optimal production quantity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ding, Ding & Chen, Jian, 2008. "Coordinating a three level supply chain with flexible return policies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 865-876, October.
- Gurnani, Haresh & Gerchak, Yigal, 2007. "Coordination in decentralized assembly systems with uncertain component yields," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1559-1576, February.
- Weng, Z. Kevin, 2004. "Coordinating order quantities between the manufacturer and the buyer: A generalized newsvendor model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(1), pages 148-161, July.
- Keren, Baruch & Pliskin, Joseph S., 2006. "A benchmark solution for the risk-averse newsvendor problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(3), pages 1643-1650, November.
- Tony Haitao Cui & Jagmohan S. Raju & Z. John Zhang, 2007. "Fairness and Channel Coordination," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(8), pages 1303-1314, August.
- Arcelus, F.J. & Kumar, Satyendra & Srinivasan, G., 2008. "Evaluating manufacturer's buyback policies in a single-period two-echelon framework under price-dependent stochastic demand," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 808-824, October.
- Hau L. Lee & V. Padmanabhan & Seungjin Whang, 1997. "Information Distortion in a Supply Chain: The Bullwhip Effect," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(4), pages 546-558, April.
- Parlar, Mahmut & Wang, Dan, 1993. "Diversification under yield randomness in inventory models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 52-64, April.
- Rau, Hsin & Wu, Mei-Ying & Wee, Hui-Ming, 2003. "Integrated inventory model for deteriorating items under a multi-echelon supply chain environment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 155-168, November.
- Yang, Shilei & Shi, Chunming Victor & Zhao, Xuan, 2011. "Optimal ordering and pricing decisions for a target oriented newsvendor," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 110-115, January.
- Xu, Minghui & Lu, Ye, 2013. "The effect of supply uncertainty in price-setting newsvendor models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 227(3), pages 423-433.
- Li, Xiang & Li, Yongjian & Cai, Xiaoqiang, 2013. "Double marginalization and coordination in the supply chain with uncertain supply," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(2), pages 228-236.
- Chen, Liang-Hsuan & Chen, Ying-Che, 2010. "A multiple-item budget-constraint newsboy problem with a reservation policy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 431-439, December.
- Ramasesh, Ranga V., 2010. "Lot-sizing decisions under limited-time price incentives: A review," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 118-135, June.
- Jaber, Mohamad Y. & Khan, Mehmood, 2010. "Managing yield by lot splitting in a serial production line with learning, rework and scrap," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 32-39, March.
- Huang, Di & Zhou, Hong & Zhao, Qiu-Hong, 2011. "A competitive multiple-product newsboy problem with partial product substitution," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 302-312, June.
- Hsieh, Tsu-Pang & Dye, Chung-Yuan, 2012. "A note on "The EPQ with partial backordering and phase-dependent backordering rate"," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 131-133, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.