Manufacturing networks and supply chains: an operations strategy perspective
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to analyze manufacturing networks and supply chains from an operations strategy perspective. These two areas have traditionally been treated as separate research tracks, but with the ongoing globalization of markets and operations there is a need to integrate these complementary disciplines to study networks of facilities. In this paper we examine the two research areas based on two structural decision categories in an operations strategy, viz. facilities and vertical integration. We present a typology for the analysis of network systems resulting in four basic network configurations. Coordination of activities within the network is contingent upon the configuration, thus resulting in four coordination approaches. The configuration and coordination analyzes can be used as a foundation for further research in the context of integrating manufacturing network and supply chain theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 31 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Brush & Aneel Karnani, 1996. "Impact of Plant Size and Focus on Productivity: An Empirical Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(7), pages 1065-1081, July.
- Leong, G. K. & Snyder, D. L. & Ward, P. T., 1990. "Research in the process and content of manufacturing strategy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 109-122.
- Julka, Nirupam & Baines, Tim & Tjahjono, Benny & Lendermann, Peter & Vitanov, Val, 2007. "A review of multi-factor capacity expansion models for manufacturing plants: Searching for a holistic decision aid," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 607-621, April.
- Sharifi, Hossein & Ismail, Hossam S & Qiu, Jun & Najafi Tavani, Saeed, 2013. "Supply chain strategy and its impacts on product and market growth strategies: A case study of SMEs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 145(1), pages 397-408.
- de la Fuente, M. Victoria & Ros, Lorenzo & Cardos, Manuel, 2008. "Integrating Forward and Reverse Supply Chains: Application to a metal-mechanic company," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 782-792, February.
- Zhang, Abraham & Luo, Hao & Huang, George Q., 2013. "A bi-objective model for supply chain design of dispersed manufacturing in China," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 48-58.
- Seuring, Stefan, 2009. "The product-relationship-matrix as framework for strategic supply chain design based on operations theory," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 221-232, July.
- Caniato, Federico & Golini, Ruggero & Kalchschmidt, Matteo, 2013. "The effect of global supply chain configuration on the relationship between supply chain improvement programs and performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 143(2), pages 285-293.
- Vilana Arto, J.R & Rodríguez Monroy, C., 2010. "Marco Conceptual De Una Cultura Sistémica En Las Redes Virtuales De Fabricación Global / Conceptual Frame Of A Systemic Culture In Global Manufacturing Virtual Networks," Investigaciones Europeas de Dirección y Economía de la Empresa (IEDEE), Academia Europea de Dirección y Economía de la Empresa (AEDEM), vol. 16(2), pages 137-163.
- Bahlmann, Jan & Spiller, Achim, 2008. "The Relationship between Supply Chain Coordination and Quality Assurance Systems: A Case Study Approach on the German Meat Sector," 110th Seminar, February 18-22, 2008, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 49768, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Frank Brulhart & Btissam Moncef, 2010. "L’impact des pratiques de Supply Chain Management sur la performance de l’entreprise," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 13(1), pages 33-66., March.
- Kinra, Aseem & Kotzab, Herbert, 2008. "A macro-institutional perspective on supply chain environmental complexity," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 283-295, October.
- Kayakutlu, Gulgun & Buyukozkan, Gulcin, 2011. "Assessing performance factors for a 3PL in a value chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 441-452, June.
- Li, Suhong & Ragu-Nathan, Bhanu & Ragu-Nathan, T.S. & Subba Rao, S., 2006. "The impact of supply chain management practices on competitive advantage and organizational performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 107-124, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.