Profits and total factor productivity: A comparative analysis
AbstractThis paper analyses some of the approaches that explain the variation in profits based on the concept of total factor productivity (TFP), using the framework of the neoclassical theory of production. In this field different explanatory decompositions of the variation in profits have been suggested. These are based on mathematical expressions that quantify different effects on the profit variations, such as the TFP and the price recovery. We will analyse alternative proposals for the decomposition of profit variations over time, using a common framework which draws on Solow's concept of technical change. We introduce the notionof "duality" among TFP measures which allows us to show that several decompositions of the profit variations suggested in the literature are in fact 'dual' to each other and therefore they measure the same thing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 20 (1992)
Issue (Month): 5-6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Estache, Antonio & Grifell-Tatjé, Emili, 2011.
"Assessing the impact of Mali’s water privatization across stakeholders,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8717, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antonio Estache & Emili Grifell-Tatjé, 2010. "Assessing the impact of Mali's water privatization across stakeholders," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2010-037, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Antonio Estache & Emili Griffel-Tatjé, 2011. "Assessing the Impact of Mali's Water Privatization across Stakeholders," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2011-031, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- C. A. Knox Lovell & E. Grifell-Tatjé, 1996.
"Profits and Productivity,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
97-18, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Parkan, Celik, 1996. "Measuring the performance of hotel operations," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 257-292, December.
- Maria Teresa Bosch-Badia, 2010. "Connecting productivity to return on assets through financial statements: Extending the Dupont method," International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(2), pages 92-104, June.
- Hudon, Marek & Périlleux, Anaïs, 2014. "Surplus distribution and characteristics of social enterprises: Evidence from microfinance," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 147-157.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.