Asymptotic distribution of the OLS estimator for a purely autoregressive spatial model
AbstractWe derive the asymptotics of the OLS estimator for a purely autoregressive spatial model. Only low-level conditions are used. As the sample size increases, the spatial matrix is assumed to approach a square-integrable function on the square (0,1)2. The asymptotic distribution is a ratio of two infinite linear combinations of [chi]2 variables. The formula involves eigenvalues of an integral operator associated with the function approached by the spatial matrices. Under the conditions imposed identification conditions for the maximum likelihood method and method of moments fail. A corrective two-step procedure using the OLS estimator is proposed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 99 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 2002. "Consistency And Efficiency Of Least Squares Estimation For Mixed Regressive, Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 252-277, April.
- White,Halbert, 1996.
"Estimation, Inference and Specification Analysis,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521574464, October.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2002. "2SLS and OLS in a spatial autoregressive model with equal spatial weights," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 691-707, November.
- Lung-fei Lee, 2003. "Best Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Estimators for a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," Econometric Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 307-335.
- Case, Anne C, 1991. "Spatial Patterns in Household Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 953-65, July.
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001. "On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- Mynbaev, Kairat, 2000. "$L_p$-Approximable sequences of vectors and limit distribution of quadratic forms of random variables," MPRA Paper 18447, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2001.
- Lung-Fei Lee, 2004. "Asymptotic Distributions of Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimators for Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1899-1925, November.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1998. "A Generalized Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-121, July.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- Mynbaev, Kairat T., 2010. "Asymptotic distribution of the OLS estimator for a mixed spatial model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 733-748, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.