Estimation of a semiparametric varying-coefficient partially linear errors-in-variables model
AbstractThis paper studies the estimation of a varying-coefficient partially linear regression model which is a generalization of the partially linear regression model and varying-coefficient regression model [Fan and Huang, Manuscript, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA, 2002]. We focus on the case where some covariates are measured with additive errors. The usual profile least squares and local polynomial estimations lead to biased estimators of the parametric and nonparametric components, respectively, when measurement errors are ignored. By correcting the attenuation we propose a modified profile least squares estimator for the parametric component and a local polynomial estimator for the nonparametric component. We show that the former is consistent, asymptotically normal and achieves the rate in the law of the iterated logarithm, and the latter achieves the optimal strong convergence rate of the usual nonparametric regression. In addition, a consistent estimator is also developed for the error variance. These results can be used to make asymptotically valid statistical inferences. Some simulation studies are conducted to illustrate the finite sample performance of the proposed estimators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 97 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, Scott A. & Truong, Young K., 1997. "Local Linear Estimation in Partly Linear Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Zhou, Xian & You, Jinhong, 2004. "Wavelet estimation in varying-coefficient partially linear regression models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 91-104, June.
- Stephen J. Iturria & Raymond J. Carroll & David Firth, 1999. "Polynomial Regression and Estimating Functions in the Presence of Multiplicative Measurement Error," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(3), pages 547-561.
- Lai, T. L. & Robbins, Herbert & Wei, C. Z., 1979. "Strong consistency of least squares estimates in multiple regression II," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 343-361, September.
- Gao, Jiti, 1995. "The laws of the iterated logarithm of some estimates in partly linear models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 153-162, November.
- Rice, John, 1986. "Convergence rates for partially splined models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 203-208, June.
- Eubank, R. L. & Hart, J. D. & Speckman, Paul, 1990. "Trigonometric series regression estimators with an application to partially linear models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 70-83, January.
- Li, Qi, et al, 2002. "Semiparametric Smooth Coefficient Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 412-22, July.
- Hardle, Wolfgang & LIang, Hua & Gao, Jiti, 2000. "Partially linear models," MPRA Paper 39562, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Donald, S. G. & Newey, W. K., 1994. "Series Estimation of Semilinear Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 30-40, July.
- Haibo Zhou & Jinhong You & Bin Zhou, 2010. "Statistical inference for fixed-effects partially linear regression models with errors in variables," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 51(3), pages 629-650, September.
- Zhao, Peixin & Xue, Liugen, 2010. "Variable selection for semiparametric varying coefficient partially linear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(8), pages 1872-1883, September.
- Peixin Zhao & Liugen Xue, 2011. "Variable selection for varying coefficient models with measurement errors," Metrika, Springer, vol. 74(2), pages 231-245, September.
- Hu, Xuemei & Wang, Zhizhong & Liu, Feng, 2008. "Zero finite-order serial correlation test in a semi-parametric varying-coefficient partially linear errors-in-variables model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(12), pages 1560-1569, September.
- Tang, Linjun & Zhou, Zhangong & Wu, Changchun, 2013. "Testing the linear errors-in-variables model with randomly censored data," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 875-884.
- Zhangong Zhou & Rong Jiang & Weimin Qian, 2011. "Variable selection for additive partially linear models with measurement error," Metrika, Springer, vol. 74(2), pages 185-202, September.
- Hu, Xuemei & Wang, Zhizhong & Zhao, Zhiwei, 2009. "Empirical likelihood for semiparametric varying-coefficient partially linear errors-in-variables models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(8), pages 1044-1052, April.
- Li, Gaorong & Feng, Sanying & Peng, Heng, 2011. "A profile-type smoothed score function for a varying coefficient partially linear model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 372-385, February.
- Zhang, Weiwei & Li, Gaorong & Xue, Liugen, 2011. "Profile inference on partially linear varying-coefficient errors-in-variables models under restricted condition," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(11), pages 3027-3040, November.
- Huang, Zhensheng & Zhou, Zhangong & Jiang, Rong & Qian, Weimin & Zhang, Riquan, 2010. "Empirical likelihood based inference for semiparametric varying coefficient partially linear models with error-prone linear covariates," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(5-6), pages 497-504, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.