A new test for multivariate normality
AbstractWe propose a new class of rotation invariant and consistent goodness-of-fit tests for multivariate distributions based on Euclidean distance between sample elements. The proposed test applies to any multivariate distribution with finite second moments. In this article we apply the new method for testing multivariate normality when parameters are estimated. The resulting test is affine invariant and consistent against all fixed alternatives. A comparative Monte Carlo study suggests that our test is a powerful competitor to existing tests, and is very sensitive against heavy tailed alternatives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 93 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henze, Norbert & Wagner, Thorsten, 1997. "A New Approach to the BHEP Tests for Multivariate Normality," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 1-23, July.
- L. Baringhaus & N. Henze, 1988. "A consistent test for multivariate normality based on the empirical characteristic function," Metrika, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 339-348, December.
- Romeu, J. L. & Ozturk, A., 1993. "A Comparative Study of Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Multivariate Normality," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 309-334, August.
- Cuesta-Albertos, J.A. & del Barrio, E. & Fraiman, R. & Matran, C., 2007. "The random projection method in goodness of fit for functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 4814-4831, June.
- Araújo, Tanya & Dias, João & Eleutério, Samuel & Louçã, Francisco, 2013. "A measure of multivariate kurtosis for the identification of the dynamics of a N-dimensional market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(17), pages 3708-3714.
- Tenreiro, Carlos, 2011. "An affine invariant multiple test procedure for assessing multivariate normality," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 1980-1992, May.
- Panagiotelis, Anastasios & Smith, Michael, 2008. "Bayesian density forecasting of intraday electricity prices using multivariate skew t distributions," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 710-727.
- Barigozzi, Matteo & Alessi, Lucia & Capasso, Marco & Fagiolo, Giorgio, 2012.
"The distribution of household consumption-expenditure budget shares,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 69-91.
- Barigozzi, Matteo & Alessi, Lucia & Capasso, Marco & Fagiolo, Giorgio, 2009. "The distribution of households consumption-expenditure budget shares," Working Paper Series 1061, European Central Bank.
- Cees Diks & Valentyn Panchenko, 2005. "Nonparametric Tests for Serial Independence Based on Quadratic Forms," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-076/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jörg-Peter Schräpler, 2011. "Konstruktion von SGB II – Dichten als Raumindikator und ihre Verwendung als Indikator im Rahmen der Sozialberichterstattung am Beispiel der „sozialen Belastung“ von Schulstandorten in NRW – ei," AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 97-124, August.
- Huang, Yufen & Kao, Tzu-Ling & Wang, Tai-Ho, 2007. "Influence functions and local influence in linear discriminant analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 3844-3861, May.
- Cees Diks & Valentyn Panchenko, 2005.
"Nonparametric Tests for Serial Independence Based on Quadratic Forms,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
05-076/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Diks, C.G.H. & Panchenko, V., 2005. "Nonparametric Tests for Serial Independence Based on Quadratic Forms," CeNDEF Working Papers 05-13, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.