A test for elliptical symmetry
AbstractThis paper presents a statistic for testing the hypothesis of elliptical symmetry. The statistic also provides a specialized test of multivariate normality. We obtain the asymptotic distribution of this statistic under the null hypothesis of multivariate normality, and give a bootstrapping procedure for approximating the null distribution of the statistic under an arbitrary elliptically symmetric distribution. We present simulation results to examine the accuracy of the asymptotic distribution and the performance of the bootstrapping procedure. Finally, for selected alternatives, we compare the power of our test statistic with that of recently proposed tests for elliptical symmetry given by Manzotti et al. [A statistic for testing the null hypothesis of elliptical symmetry, J. Multivariate Anal. 81 (2002) 274-285] and Schott [Testing for elliptical symmetry in covariance-matrix-based analyses, Statist. Probab. Lett. 60 (2002) 395-404], and with that of the well known tests for multivariate normality of Mardia [Measures of multivariate skewness and kurtosis with applications, Biometrika 57 (1970) 519-530] and Baringhaus and Henze [A consistent test for multivariate normality based on the empirical characteristic function, Metrika 35 (1988) 339-348].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 98 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schott, James R., 2002. "Testing for elliptical symmetry in covariance-matrix-based analyses," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 395-404, December.
- Henze, Norbert & Wagner, Thorsten, 1997. "A New Approach to the BHEP Tests for Multivariate Normality," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 1-23, July.
- Zhu, Li-Xing & Neuhaus, Georg, 2003. "Conditional tests for elliptical symmetry," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 284-298, February.
- Alessandro Manzotti & Adolfo Quiroz, 2001. "Spherical harmonics in quadratic forms for testing multivariate normality," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 87-104, June.
- Romeu, J. L. & Ozturk, A., 1993. "A Comparative Study of Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Multivariate Normality," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 309-334, August.
- Manzotti, A. & Pérez, Francisco J. & Quiroz, Adolfo J., 2002. "A Statistic for Testing the Null Hypothesis of Elliptical Symmetry," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 274-285, May.
- L. Baringhaus & N. Henze, 1988. "A consistent test for multivariate normality based on the empirical characteristic function," Metrika, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 339-348, December.
- Fantazzini, Dean, 2011. "Analysis of multidimensional probability distributions with copula functions. III," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 24(4), pages 100-130.
- Penikas, H., 2010. "Financial Applications of Copula-Models," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, issue 7, pages 24-44.
- Sakhanenko, Lyudmila, 2008. "Testing for ellipsoidal symmetry: A comparison study," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 565-581, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.