Single-index quantile regression
AbstractNonparametric quantile regression with multivariate covariates is a difficult estimation problem due to the "curse of dimensionality". To reduce the dimensionality while still retaining the flexibility of a nonparametric model, we propose modeling the conditional quantile by a single-index function , where a univariate link function g0([dot operator]) is applied to a linear combination of covariates , often called the single-index. We introduce a practical algorithm where the unknown link function g0([dot operator]) is estimated by local linear quantile regression and the parametric index is estimated through linear quantile regression. Large sample properties of estimators are studied, which facilitate further inference. Both the modeling and estimation approaches are demonstrated by simulation studies and real data applications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 101 (2010)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee, 2004.
"Nonparametric estimation of an additive quantile regression model,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP07/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Lee, Sokbae, 2005. "Nonparametric Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1238-1249, December.
- Sokbae Lee & Joel L. Horowitz, 2004. "Nonparametric Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 721, Econometric Society.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- De Gooijer J.G. & Zerom D., 2003. "On Additive Conditional Quantiles With High Dimensional Covariates," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 135-146, January.
- Xia, Yingcun & Härdle, Wolfgang, 2006. "Semi-parametric estimation of partially linear single-index models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(5), pages 1162-1184, May.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Keming Yu & Zudi Lu, 2004. "Local Linear Additive Quantile Regression," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 31(3), pages 333-346.
- Hidehiko Ichimura & Sokbae Lee, 2006.
"Characterization of the Asymptotic Distribution of Semiparametric M-Estimators,"
CIRJE-F-426, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Ichimura, Hidehiko & Lee, Sokbae, 2010. "Characterization of the asymptotic distribution of semiparametric M-estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 252-266, December.
- Hidehiko Ichimura & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee, 2006. "Characterization of the asymptotic distribution of semiparametric M-estimators," CeMMAP working papers CWP15/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ichimura, H & Lee, S, 2006. "Characterization of the asymptotic distribution of semiparametric M-estimators," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Hidehiko Ichimura & Sokbae Lee, 2010. "Characterization of the asymptotic distribution of semiparametric M-estimators," Post-Print peer-00741628, HAL.
- Efang Kong & Oliver Linton & Yingcun Xia, 2011. "Global Bahadur representation for nonparametric censored regression quantiles and its applications," CeMMAP working papers CWP33/11, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.