Equity in health care finance in Palestine: The triple effects revealed
AbstractThis paper presents an application of the Urban and Lambert "upgraded-AJL Decomposition" approach that was designed to deal with the problem of close-income equals in equity analysis, and as applied to the area of health care finance. Contrary to most previous studies, vertical and horizontal inequities and the triple effects of inter-groups, intra-group and entire-group reranking of various financing schemes are estimated, with statistical significance calculated using the bootstrap method. Application is made on the three financing schemes present in the case of the Occupied Palestinian Territory. Results demonstrate the relative importance of the three forms of reranking in determining overall inequality. The paper offers policy recommendations to limit the existing inequalities in the system and to enhance the capacity of the governmental insurance scheme.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Health Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560
Health care finance Vertical equity Horizontal equity Reranking Bootstrap method;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 1997.
"What Can New Survey Data Tell Us about Recent Changes in Distribution and Poverty?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 11(2), pages 357-82, May.
- Ravallion, Martin & Shaohua Chen, 1996. "What can new survey data tell us about recent changes in distribution and poverty?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1694, The World Bank.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2004.
"Asymptotic and bootstrap inference for inequality and poverty measures,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
v04100, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Davidson, Russell & Flachaire, Emmanuel, 2007. "Asymptotic and bootstrap inference for inequality and poverty measures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 141-166, November.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2006. "Asymptotic And Bootstrap Inference For Inequality And Poverty Measures," Departmental Working Papers 2005-06, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Chris D. James & Kara Hanson & Barbara McPake & Dina Balabanova & Davidson Gwatkin & Ian Hopwood & Christina Kirunga & Rudolph Knippenberg & Bruno Meessen & Saul S. Morris & Alexander Preker & Yves So, 2006. "To Retain or Remove User Fees?: Reflections on the Current Debate in Low- and Middle-Income Countries," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 5(3), pages 137-153.
- Xander Koolman & Eddy van Doorslaer, 2004. "On the interpretation of a concentration index of inequality," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 649-656.
- Adam Wagstaff, 2002. "Reflections on and alternatives to WHO's fairness of financial contribution index," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 103-115.
- Kinam Kim & Peter J. Lambert, 2009. "Redistributive Effect of U.S. Taxes and Public Transfers, 1994-2004," Public Finance Review, , vol. 37(1), pages 3-26, January.
- Aronson, J. Richard & Lambert, Peter J., 1994. "Decomposing the Gini Coefficient to Reveal the Vertical, Horizontal, and Reranking Effects of Income Taxation," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(2), pages 273-94, June.
- Mills, Jeffrey A & Zandvakili, Sourushe, 1997.
"Statistical Inference via Bootstrapping for Measures of Inequality,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 133-50, March-Apr.
- Jeffrey A. Mills & Sourushe Zandvakili, 1999. "Statistical Inference via Bootstrapping for Measures of Inequality," Macroeconomics 9902003, EconWPA.
- van de Ven, Justin & Creedy, John & Lambert, Peter J, 2001.
" Close Equals and Calculation of the Vertical, Horizontal and Reranking Effects of Taxation,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(3), pages 381-94, July.
- Creedy, J. & Lambert, P.J. & van de Ven, J., 2001. "Close Equals and Calculation of the Vertical, Horizontal and Reranking Effects of Taxation," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 781, The University of Melbourne.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1997. "Progressivity, horizontal equity and reranking in health care finance: a decomposition analysis for the Netherlands," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 499-516, October.
- Jenkins, Stephen, 1988. "Calculating Income Distribution Indices from Micro-Data," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 41(1), pages 139-42, March.
- Klavus, Jan, 2001. "Statistical inference of progressivity dominance: an application to health care financing distributions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 363-377, May.
- Abu-Zaineh, Mohammad & Mataria, Awad & Luchini, Stéphane & Moatti, Jean-Paul, 2008. "Equity in health care financing in Palestine: The value-added of the disaggregate approach," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(11), pages 2308-2320, June.
- Juster, F Thomas & Stafford, Frank P, 1991.
"The Allocation of Time: Empirical Findings, Behavioral Models, and Problems of Measurement,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 29(2), pages 471-522, June.
- Juster, F. Thomas & Stafford, Frank P., 1990. "The Allocation of Time: Empirical Findings, Behavioural Models, and Problems of Measurement," Working Paper Series 258, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Cowell, F.A., 2000.
"Measurement of inequality,"
Handbook of Income Distribution,
in: A.B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon (ed.), Handbook of Income Distribution, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 87-166
- Aronson, J Richard & Johnson, Paul & Lambert, Peter J, 1994. "Redistributive Effects and Unequal Income Tax Treatment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 262-70, March.
- van Doorslaer, Eddy & Wagstaff, Adam & van der Burg, Hattem & Christiansen, Terkel & Citoni, Guido & Di Biase, Rita & Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Gerfin, Mike & Gross, Lorna & Hakinnen, Unto, 1999. "The redistributive effect of health care finance in twelve OECD countries," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 291-313, June.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1989. "Improving the accuracy of estimates of Gini coefficients," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 43-47, September.
- Cisse, Boubou & Luchini, Stephane & Moatti, Jean Paul, 2007. "Progressivity and horizontal equity in health care finance and delivery: What about Africa?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 51-68, January.
- Mohammad Abu-Zaineh & Habiba Romdhane & Bruno Ventelou & Jean-Paul Moatti & Arfa Chokri, 2013. "Appraising financial protection in health: the case of Tunisia," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 73-93, March.
- Awad Mataria & Firas Raad & Mohammad Abu-Zaineh & Cam Donaldson, 2010.
"Catastrophic healthcare payments and impoverishment in the occupied Palestinian territory,"
Applied Health Economics and Health Policy,
Springer, vol. 8(6), pages 393-405, November.
- Awad Mataria & Firas Raad & Mohammad Abu-Zaineh & Cam Donaldson, 2010. "Catastrophic Healthcare Payments and Impoverishment in the Occupied Palestinian Territory," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 8(6), pages 393-405.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.