Commission deregulation and performance of securities firms: Further evidence from Japan
AbstractThis study explores the impacts on small securities firms' performance of the multi-stage commission deregulation in Japan from 1994 to 1999. Different from previous findings, market volume does not rise while commission rates fall following each phase of the deregulation. Therefore, securities firms' stock performance tends to decline as the deregulation proceeds, contrasting with the stock price increase reported previously. Moreover, the negative price effect tends to vary with firm size and deregulation phase, consistent with the fact that securities firms of different sizes depend to different extent on commission income from transactions covered by different phases of the deregulation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economics and Business.
Volume (Year): 60 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconbus
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karpoff, Jonathan M., 1987. "The Relation between Price Changes and Trading Volume: A Survey," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 109-126, March.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Aharon R. Ofer & Arie Melnick, 1978. "Price Deregulation in the Brokerage Industry: An Empirical Analysis," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 633-641, Autumn.
- Black, Fischer, 1972. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Restricted Borrowing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 444-55, July.
- Shinhua Liu & John D. Stowe, 2005. "The shareholder wealth effects of voluntary foreign delistings: an empirical analysis," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(4), pages 199-204, July.
- Jarrell, Gregg A, 1984. "Change at the Exchange: The Causes and Effects of Deregulation," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 273-312, October.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.