The price-setting behavior of banks: An analysis of open-end leverage certificates on the German market
AbstractThis paper presents the first analysis of open-end leverage certificates on the German market. The major innovations of these certificates are twofold. First, issuers announce a price-setting formula according to which they are willing to buy and sell the certificates over time. Second, the product's lifetime is potentially endless. Our main findings are that the price-setting formula is (i) designed to strongly favor the issuer and (ii) is consistent with the main outcome of the 'life cycle hypothesis' for structured financial products [Stoimenov, P.A., Wilkens, S., 2005. Are structured products 'fairly' priced? An analysis of the German market for equity-linked instruments. Journal of Banking and Finance 29, 2971-2993]. (iii) This holds for different product features and also in the presence of issuers' credit risk and jump risk in the underlying.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 33 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Structured products Certificates Hedging German market Pricing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1995. "The impact of default risk on the prices of options and other derivative securities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 299-322, May.
- Boes, M.J. & Drost, F.C. & Werker, B.J.M., 2005.
"The Impact of Overnight Periods on Option Pricing,"
2005-1, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Breuer, Wolfgang & Perst, Achim, 2007. "Retail banking and behavioral financial engineering: The case of structured products," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 827-844, March.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Taylor, Nicholas, 2007. "A note on the importance of overnight information in risk management models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 161-180, January.
- Charles Quanwei Cao & Gurdip S. Bakshi & Zhiwu Chen, 1997. "Empirical Performance of Alternative Option Pricing Models," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm54, Yale School of Management.
- Boes, M.J. & Drost, F.C. & Werker, B.J.M., 2007. "The impact of overnight periods on option pricing," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-194317, Tilburg University.
- Benet, Bruce A. & Giannetti, Antoine & Pissaris, Seema, 2006. "Gains from structured product markets: The case of reverse-exchangeable securities (RES)," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 111-132, January.
- Hersh Shefrin & Meir Statman, 1993. "Behavioral Aspects of the Design and Marketing of Financial Products," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(2), Summer.
- Jarrow, Robert A. & van Deventer, Donald R., 1998. "The arbitrage-free valuation and hedging of demand deposits and credit card loans," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 249-272, March.
- Andreas Grünbichler & Hanspeter Wohlwend, 2005. "The Valuation of Structured Products: Empirical Findings for the Swiss Market," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 361-380, December.
- Charles Quanwei Cao & Gurdip S. Bakshi & Zhiwu Chen, 1997. "Empirical Performance of Alternative Option Pricing Models," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm65, Yale School of Management.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Cao, Charles & Chen, Zhiwu, 1997. " Empirical Performance of Alternative Option Pricing Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 2003-49, December.
- Rossetto, Silvia & Bommel, Jos van, 2009. "Endless leverage certificates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1543-1553, August.
- Baule, Rainer, 2011. "The order flow of discount certificates and issuer pricing behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 3120-3133, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.