Stochastic trade policy with asset markets : The role of tariff structure
AbstractThis paper uses a Stockman-Dellas type two-country, two-good, stochastic general equilibrium model to consider the effects of commercial policy when asset markets are complete. We show that: (i) import and export tariffs do not have symmetric effects because interstate relative prices depend on the entire tariff structure; (ii) when commercial policy is random and exogenously determined, the ex post comparison of utility across states depends upon whether import or export tariffs are used; and (iii) when endowments are random, implying the optimal tariff varies across states, the introduction of asset markets may be welfare-reducing when only import tariffs are used.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552
Other versions of this item:
- Barari, Mahua & Lapan, Harvey E., 1993. "Stochastic Trade Policy with Asset Markets: The Role of Tariff Structure," Staff General Research Papers 10042, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francois, Joseph & Martin, Will, 2002.
"Commercial Policy Variability, Bindings and Market Access,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3294, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francois, Joseph F. & Martin, Will, 2004. "Commercial policy variability, bindings, and market access," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 665-679, June.
- Joseph Francois & Will Martin, 2002. "Commercial Policy Variability, Bindings, and Market Access," International Trade 0210002, EconWPA.
- Joseph F. Francois & Will Martin, 1998. "Commercial Policy Uncertainty, the Expected Cost of Protection, and Market Access," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-059/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Michael R. Pakko, 1996. "Tariff risk and international borrowing with incomplete asset markets," Working Papers 1996-011, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Michael Dueker, 1995. "Tariffs and asset market structure: some basic comparative dynamics," Working Papers 1995-009, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.