The resolution of cross-border banks: Issues for deposit insurers and proposals for cooperation
AbstractThis paper reviews critical legal and policy issues created by cross-border banking insolvencies. These include (I) Insolvency principles, such as (1) criteria for intervention; (2) deposit insurance; (3) power to manage; (4) ability to maximize recoveries. Also included is (II) International legal complications. Critical issues in cross-border crisis management involve: (1) division of labor between home and host countries; (2) the availability of information; (3) the legal, regulatory and supervisory framework; (4) the law governing initiation of proceedings; (5) grounds for intervention; (6) deposit insurance; (7) legal powers of controlling authorities; (8) the potential financial and economic effects. We conclude with a few proposals for cooperation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Stability.
Volume (Year): 4 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jfstabil
Cross-border banking insolvency Home/host regulatory powers Insolvency laws;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Avgouleas, Emilios & Goodhart, Charles & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 2013. "Bank Resolution Plans as a catalyst for global financial reform," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 210-218.
- Iman van Lelyveld & Marco Spaltro, 2011. "Coordinating Bank Failure Costs and Financial Stability," DNB Working Papers 306, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Hardy, Daniel C. & Nieto, Maria J., 2011. "Cross-border coordination of prudential supervision and deposit guarantees," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 155-164, August.
- Mälkönen, Ville & Niinimäki, J.-P., 2012. "Blanket guarantee, deposit insurance and restructuring decisions for multinational banks," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 84-95.
- Ding, Cherng G. & Wu, Chiu-Hui & Chang, Pao-Long, 2013. "The influence of government intervention on the trajectory of bank performance during the global financial crisis: A comparative study among Asian economies," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 556-564.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.