Cross-border coordination of prudential supervision And deposit guarantees
AbstractWe study the optimal joint design of prudential supervision and deposit guarantee regulations in a multi-country, integrated banking market, where policy-makers have preferences regarding profitability and stability of the banking sector. Non-coordinated policies will tend to yield too little supervision and too much deposit insurance. The paper concludes with recommendations on policy priorities in this area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Espa�a in its series Banco de Espa�a Working Papers with number 1126.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Deposit guarantees; bank supervision; cross-border coordination; EU;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F59 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - Other
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-10-22 (Banking)
- NEP-CIS-2011-10-22 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-IAS-2011-10-22 (Insurance Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David G. Mayes & María J. Nieto & Larry Wall, 2008.
"Multiple safety net regulators and agency problems in the EU: Is Prompt Corrective Action partly the solution?,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0819, Banco de Espa�a.
- Mayes, David G. & Nieto, María J. & Wall, Larry, 2008. "Multiple safety net regulators and agency problems in the EU: Is Prompt Corrective Action partly the solution?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 232-257, September.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2004. "Market discipline and deposit insurance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 375-399, March.
- Robert A. Eisenbeis & George G. Kaufman, 2007. "Cross-border banking: challenges for deposit insurance and financial stability in the European Union," Working Paper 2006-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Marquez, Robert, 2006. "Competition among regulators and credit market integration," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 401-430, February.
- Robert Marquez & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 2001. "Competition Among Regulators," IMF Working Papers 01/73, International Monetary Fund.
- Eisenbeis, Robert A. & Kaufman, George G., 2008. "Cross-border banking and financial stability in the EU," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 168-204, September.
- Dirk Schoenmaker & Charles Goodhart, 2006. "Burden Sharing in a Banking Crisis in Europe," FMG Special Papers sp164, Financial Markets Group.
- David S. Hoelscher & Michael Taylor & Ulrich H. Klueh, 2006. "The Design and Implementation of Deposit Insurance Systems," IMF Occasional Papers 251, International Monetary Fund.
- Merwan Engineer & Paul Schure & Mark Gillis, 2012.
"A Positive Analysis of Deposit Insurance Provision: Regulatory Competition Among European Union Countries,"
Working Paper Series
29_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Engineer, Merwan H. & Schure, Paul & Gillis, Mark, 2013. "A positive analysis of deposit insurance provision: Regulatory competition among European Union countries," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 530-544.
- Cerutti, Eugenio & Schmieder, Christian, 2014. "Ring fencing and consolidated banks’ stress tests," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 11(C), pages 1-12.
- Huang, Xin & Zhou, Hao & Zhu, Haibin, 2012.
"Assessing the systemic risk of a heterogeneous portfolio of banks during the recent financial crisis,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 193-205.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2010. "Assessing the systemic risk of a heterogeneous portfolio of banks during the recent financial crisis," BIS Working Papers 296, Bank for International Settlements.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009. "Assessing the systemic risk of a heterogeneous portfolio of banks during the recent financial crisis," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2009-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Francesco Vallascas & Kevin Keasey, 2013. "The Volatility of European Banking Systems: A Two-Decade Study," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 37-68, February.
- Agur, Itai, 2013. "Multiple bank regulators and risk taking," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 259-268.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mar�a Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de Espa�a).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.