A single-period inventory placement problem for a supply system with the satisficing objective
AbstractConsider the inventory placement problem in an N-stage supply system facing a stochastic demand for a single planning period. Each stage is a stocking point holding some form of inventory (e.g., raw materials, subassemblies, product returns or finished products) that after a suitable transformation can satisfy demand. Stocking decisions are made before demand occurs. Unsatisfied demands are lost. The revenue, salvage value, ordering, transformation, and lost sales costs are proportional. There are fixed costs for utilizing stages for stock storage. The objective is to maximize the probability of achieving a given target profit level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 224 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Inventory; Stochastic; Newsvendor; Single period; Supply chain; Satisficing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Özler, Aysun & Tan, BarIs & Karaesmen, Fikri, 2009. "Multi-product newsvendor problem with value-at-risk considerations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 244-255, February.
- Stephen C. Graves & Sean P. Willems, 2003. "Erratum: Optimizing Strategic Safety Stock Placement in Supply Chains," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(2), pages 176-177.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1999. "The single-period (news-vendor) problem: literature review and suggestions for future research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 537-553, October.
- Shi, Chunming Victor & Zhao, Xuan & Xia, Yu, 2010. "The setting of profit targets for target oriented divisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(1), pages 86-92, October.
- He, Xiuli & Khouja, Moutaz, 2011. "Pareto analysis of supply chain contracts under satisficing objectives," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(1), pages 53-66, October.
- Chung, Chia-Shin & Flynn, James & Stalinski, Piotr, 2007. "A single-period inventory placement problem for a supply chain with the expected profit objective," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(3), pages 767-781, May.
- Shi, Chunming (Victor) & Yang, Shilei & Xia, Yu & Zhao, Xuan, 2011. "Inventory competition for newsvendors under the objective of profit satisficing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 215(2), pages 367-373, December.
- John Payne, 2005. "It is Whether You Win or Lose: The Importance of the Overall Probabilities of Winning or Losing in Risky Choice," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 5-19, January.
- Stephen C. Graves & Sean P. Willems, 2000. "Optimizing Strategic Safety Stock Placement in Supply Chains," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 68-83, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.