Optimal policy for an inventory system with backlogging and all-units discounts: Application to the composite lot size model
AbstractThis paper examines an inventory model with full backlogging and all-units quantity discounts. The practical scenario of a salesperson offering compensation to a client so as not to lose the sale is considered. The cost of a backorder thus includes both a fixed cost and a further cost which is proportional to the length of time the said backorder exists. A first algorithm is developed to determine the optimal policy while some extensions to this algorithm are obtained that include additional conditions on the model. In particular, the well known composite lot size model, developed by Tersine, is solved, incorporating a new stockout cost and a new all-units discount. Numerical examples are provided to illustrate the application of the algorithms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 192 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Logistics Inventory model Backlogging Price discounts Freight rates Inspection discounts;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. J. Baumol & H. D. Vinod, 1970. "An Inventory Theoretic Model of Freight Transport Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(7), pages 413-421, March.
- Swenseth, Scott R. & Godfrey, Michael R., 2002. "Incorporating transportation costs into inventory replenishment decisions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 113-130, May.
- Ertogral, K. & Darwish, M. & Ben-Daya, M., 2007. "Production and shipment lot sizing in a vendor-buyer supply chain with transportation cost," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1592-1606, February.
- Aucamp, Donald C., 1982. "Nonlinear freight costs in the EOQ problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 61-63, January.
- Fazel, Farzaneh & Fischer, Klaus P. & Gilbert, Erika W., 1998. "JIT purchasing vs. EOQ with a price discount: An analytical comparison of inventory costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 101-109, January.
- Wee, Hui-Ming, 1999. "Deteriorating inventory model with quantity discount, pricing and partial backordering," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-3), pages 511-518, March.
- Rubin, Paul A. & Benton, W. C., 2003. "Evaluating jointly constrained order quantity complexities for incremental discounts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 149(3), pages 557-570, September.
- Matsuyama, Keisuke, 2001. "The EOQ-Models modified by introducing discount of purchase price or increase of setup cost," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 83-99, August.
- Burwell, Timothy H. & Dave, Dinesh S. & Fitzpatrick, Kathy E. & Roy, Melvin R., 1997. "Economic lot size model for price-dependent demand under quantity and freight discounts," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 141-155, January.
- Benton, W. C. & Park, Seungwook, 1996. "A classification of literature on determining the lot size under quantity discounts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 219-238, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.