An index heuristic for transshipment decisions in multi-location inventory systems based on a pairwise decomposition
AbstractIn multi-location inventory systems, transshipments are often used to improve customer service and reduce cost. Determining optimal transshipment policies for such systems involves a complex optimisation problem that is only tractable for systems with few locations. Consequently simple heuristic transshipment policies are often applied in practice. This paper develops an approximate solution method which applies decomposition to reduce a Markov decision process model of a multi-location inventory system into a number of models involving only two locations. The value functions from the subproblems are used to estimate the fair charge for the inventory provided in a transshipment. This estimate of the fair charge is used as the decision criterion in a heuristic transshipment policy for the multi-location system. A numerical study shows that the proposed heuristic can deliver considerable cost savings compared to the simple heuristics often used in practice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 192 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Dynamic programming Inventory Stochastic models Transshipment Decomposition;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T. W. Archibald & S. A. E. Sassen & L. C. Thomas, 1997. "An Optimal Policy for a Two Depot Inventory Problem with Stock Transfer," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(2), pages 173-183, February.
- Hau L. Lee, 1987. "A Multi-Echelon Inventory Model for Repairable Items with Emergency Lateral Transshipments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(10), pages 1302-1316, October.
- Anil Kukreja & Charles P. Schmidt & David M. Miller, 2001. "Stocking Decisions for Low-Usage Items in a Multilocation Inventory System," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(10), pages 1371-1383, October.
- George Tagaras & Morris A. Cohen, 1992. "Pooling in Two-Location Inventory Systems with Non-Negligible Replenishment Lead Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(8), pages 1067-1083, August.
- Burton, Jonathan & Banerjee, Avijit, 2005. "Cost-parametric analysis of lateral transshipment policies in two-echelon supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 169-178, January.
- Nils Rudi & Sandeep Kapur & David F. Pyke, 2001. "A Two-Location Inventory Model with Transshipment and Local Decision Making," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(12), pages 1668-1680, December.
- Wong, Hartanto & Cattrysse, Dirk & Van Oudheusden, Dirk, 2005. "Inventory pooling of repairable spare parts with non-zero lateral transshipment time and delayed lateral transshipments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 207-218, August.
- Minner, Stefan & Silver, Edward A. & Robb, David J., 2003. "An improved heuristic for deciding on emergency transshipments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 384-400, July.
- H. Jönsson & E. A. Silver, 1987. "Analysis of a Two-Echelon Inventory Control System with Complete Redistribution," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(2), pages 215-227, February.
- Paterson, Colin & Kiesmüller, Gudrun & Teunter, Ruud & Glazebrook, Kevin, 2011. "Inventory models with lateral transshipments: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 125-136, April.
- Tiacci, Lorenzo & Saetta, Stefano, 2011. "Reducing the mean supply delay of spare parts using lateral transshipments policies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 182-191, September.
- Paterson, Colin & Teunter, Ruud & Glazebrook, Kevin, 2012. "Enhanced lateral transshipments in a multi-location inventory system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 221(2), pages 317-327.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.