Heuristic approaches to large-scale periodic packing of irregular shapes on a rectangular sheet
AbstractThe nesting problem is a two-dimensional cutting and packing problem where the small pieces to cut have irregular shapes. A particular case of the nesting problem occurs when congruent copies of one single shape have to fill, as much as possible, a limited sheet. Traditional approaches to the nesting problem have difficulty to tackle with high number of pieces to place. Additionally, if the orientation of the given shape is not a constraint, the general nesting approaches are not particularly successful. This problem arises in practice in several industrial contexts such as footwear, metalware and furniture. A possible approach is the periodic placement of the shapes, in a lattice way. In this paper, we propose three heuristic approaches to solve this particular case of nesting problems. Experimental results are compared with published results in literature and additional results obtained from new instances are also provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 192 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Packing Periodic packing Lattice packing Heuristics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stoyan, Yu. G. & Pankratov, A. V., 1999. "Regular packing of congruent polygons on the rectangular sheet," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 113(3), pages 653-675, March.
- Gomes, A. Miguel & Oliveira, Jose F., 2002. "A 2-exchange heuristic for nesting problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 359-370, September.
- Dowsland, Kathryn A. & Dowsland, William B., 1992. "Packing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 2-14, January.
- Wascher, Gerhard & Hau[ss]ner, Heike & Schumann, Holger, 2007. "An improved typology of cutting and packing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(3), pages 1109-1130, December.
- Stoyan, Yu G. & Patsuk, V. N., 2000. "A method of optimal lattice packing of congruent oriented polygons in the plane," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 204-216, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.