Intertemporal substitution and durable goods: long-run data
AbstractIn this paper, we use long-run annual data to estimate the intertemporal elasticity of substitution while accounting for the intra-temporal substitution between nondurable consumption goods and durable consumption goods. We apply a two-step procedure that combines a cointegration approach to preference parameter estimation with Generalized Method of Moments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 61 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ogaki, Masao, 1998. "Intertemporal substitution and durable goods: long-run data," MPRA Paper 13683, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Park, Joon Y, 1992. "Canonical Cointegrating Regressions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 119-43, January.
- Wykoff, Frank C, 1970. "Capital Depreciation in the Postwar Period: Automobiles," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(2), pages 168-72, May.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ogaki, Masao, 1995.
"Measuring intertemporal substitution: The role of durable goods,"
13690, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Masao Ogaki & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1998. "Measuring Intertemporal Substitution: The Role of Durable Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 1078-1098, October.
- Ogaki, M & Reinhart, C-M, 1995. "Measuring Intertemporal Substitution : The Role of Durable Goods," RCER Working Papers 404, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Martin S. Eichenbaum & Lars Peter Hansen, 1991.
"Estimating Models with Intertemporal Substitution Using Aggregate Time Series Data,"
NBER Working Papers
2181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichenbaum, Martin & Hansen, Lars Peter, 1990. "Estimating Models with Intertemporal Substitution Using Aggregate Time Series Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 53-69, January.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 339-57, April.
- han, H.L. & Ogaki, M., 1991. "Consumption, Income, and Cointegration Further Analysis," RCER Working Papers 305, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Ogaki, Masao & Park, Joon Y., 1997.
"A cointegration approach to estimating preference parameters,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 107-134.
- Ogaki, M. & Park, Y.Y., 1989. "A Cointegration Approach To Estimating Preference Parameters," RCER Working Papers 209, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Cooley, Thomas F & Ogaki, Masao, 1996. "A Time Series Analysis of Real Wages, Consumption, and Asset Returns," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 119-34, March-Apr.
- Mésonnier, J-S. & Renne, J-P., 2004. "A Time-Varying Natural Rate for the Euro Area," Working papers 115, Banque de France.
- Elena Márquez de la Cruz, 2005. "La elasticidad de sustitución intertemporal y el consumo duradero: un análisis para el caso español," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 29(3), pages 455-481, September.
- Atif Mian & Amir Sufi, 2012.
"The Effects of Fiscal Stimulus: Evidence from the 2009 Cash for Clunkers Program,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 127(3), pages 1107-1142.
- Atif Mian & Amir Sufi, 2010. "The Effects of Fiscal Stimulus: Evidence from the 2009 ‘Cash for Clunkers’ Program," NBER Working Papers 16351, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett, 2010. "Why Do Some Countries Undertake Structural Reforms When Others Do Not? Evidence From The Oecd And Emerging Market Economies," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(01), pages 81-103.
- Bokan, Nikola & Hughes Hallett, Andrew, 2007.
"The Impact of Tax, Product and Labour Market Distortions on the Phillips Curve and the Natural Rate of Unemployment,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2007-42, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nikola Bokan & Andrew Hughes Hallett, 2007. "The Impact of Tax, Product and Labour Market Distortions on the Phillips Curve and the Natural Rate of Unemployment," Kiel Working Papers 1336, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Sang-Wook Stanley Cho, 2007.
"Household Wealth Accumulation and Portfolio Choices in Korea,"
2007-26, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Cho, Sang-Wook (Stanley), 2010. "Household wealth accumulation and portfolio choices in Korea," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 13-25, March.
- José E. Boscá & Antonio Cutanda & Javier Escribá, 2006. "Efficiency in the provision of public and private capital in 15 OECD countries," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 30(2), pages 207-237, May.
- Jean-Stephane Mesonnier & Jean-Paul Renne, 2004.
"A Time Varying Natural Rate of Interest for the Euro Area,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004
42, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Mesonnier, Jean-Stephane & Renne, Jean-Paul, 2007. "A time-varying "natural" rate of interest for the euro area," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 1768-1784, October.
- Okubo, Masakatsu, 2008. "Intertemporal substitution and nonhomothetic preferences," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 41-47, January.
- Elena Marquez de la Cruz & Ana Martinez-Canete & Ines Perez-Soba Aguilar, 2007. "Intertemporal preference parameters for some European monetary union countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 997-1011.
- Mauricio Arango & Carlos Esteban Posada & Jorge Andrés Tamayo, 2011. "El sistema crediticio, la política monetaria y un posible origen de ciclos y crisis financieras," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Humala, Alberto & Rodríguez, Gabriel, 2009.
"Estimation of a Time Varying Natural Interest Rate for Peru,"
2009-009, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Alberto Humala & Gabriel Rodríguez, 2011. "Estimation Of A Time Varying Natural Interest Rate For Peru," Documentos de Trabajo 2011-316, Departamento de Economía - Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
- Erdem Basci & Ismail Saglam, 2008.
"On Roots of Housing Bubbles,"
0803, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Donald S. Allen & Leonce Ndikumana, 1999. "Income inequality and minimum consumption: implications for growth," Working Papers 1999-013, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Auteri, Monica & Costantini, Mauro, 2010. "A panel cointegration approach to estimating substitution elasticities in consumption," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 782-787, May.
- repec:van:wpaper:vuecon-sub-13-00002 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bokan, Nikola & Hughes Hallett, Andrew, 2008. "The Impact of Tax and Market Distortions on the Phillips Curve and the Natural Rate of Unemployment," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2(27), pages 1-28.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.