Intertemporal substitution and durable goods: long-run data
AbstractIn this paper, we use long-run annual data to estimate the intertemporal elasticity of substitution while accounting for the intra-temporal substitution between nondurable consumption goods and durable consumption goods. We apply a two-step procedure that combines a cointegration approach to preference parameter estimation with Generalized Method of Moments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 61 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Other versions of this item:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ogaki, Masao, 1998. "Intertemporal substitution and durable goods: long-run data," MPRA Paper 13683, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Park, Joon Y, 1992. "Canonical Cointegrating Regressions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 119-43, January.
- Martin S. Eichenbaum & Lars Peter Hansen, 1991.
"Estimating Models with Intertemporal Substitution Using Aggregate Time Series Data,"
NBER Working Papers
2181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichenbaum, Martin & Hansen, Lars Peter, 1990. "Estimating Models with Intertemporal Substitution Using Aggregate Time Series Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 53-69, January.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ogaki, Masao, 1995.
"Measuring intertemporal substitution: The role of durable goods,"
13690, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Masao Ogaki & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1998. "Measuring Intertemporal Substitution: The Role of Durable Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 1078-1098, October.
- Ogaki, M & Reinhart, C-M, 1995. "Measuring Intertemporal Substitution : The Role of Durable Goods," RCER Working Papers 404, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert E. Hall, 1988.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
NBER Working Papers
0720, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ogaki, M. & Park, Y.Y., 1989.
"A Cointegration Approach To Estimating Preference Parameters,"
RCER Working Papers
209, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Ogaki, Masao & Park, Joon Y., 1997. "A cointegration approach to estimating preference parameters," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 107-134.
- han, H.L. & Ogaki, M., 1991. "Consumption, Income, and Cointegration Further Analysis," RCER Working Papers 305, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Cooley, Thomas F & Ogaki, Masao, 1996. "A Time Series Analysis of Real Wages, Consumption, and Asset Returns," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 119-34, March-Apr.
- Wykoff, Frank C, 1970. "Capital Depreciation in the Postwar Period: Automobiles," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(2), pages 168-72, May.
- Bokan, Nikola & Hughes Hallett, Andrew, 2008. "The Impact of Tax and Market Distortions on the Phillips Curve and the Natural Rate of Unemployment," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2(27), pages 1-28.
- Cho, Sang-Wook (Stanley), 2010.
"Household wealth accumulation and portfolio choices in Korea,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 13-25, March.
- Sang-Wook Stanley Cho, 2007. "Household Wealth Accumulation and Portfolio Choices in Korea," Discussion Papers 2007-26, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Erdem Basci & Ismail Saglam, 2008.
"On Roots of Housing Bubbles,"
0801, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Department of Economics.
- Alberto Humala & Gabriel Rodríguez, 2011.
"Estimation Of A Time Varying Natural Interest Rate For Peru,"
Documentos de Trabajo
2011-316, Departamento de Economía - Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
- Humala, Alberto & Rodríguez, Gabriel, 2009. "Estimation of a Time Varying Natural Interest Rate for Peru," Working Papers 2009-009, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Mesonnier, Jean-Stephane & Renne, Jean-Paul, 2007.
"A time-varying "natural" rate of interest for the euro area,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 1768-1784, October.
- Jean-Stephane Mesonnier & Jean-Paul Renne, 2004. "A Time Varying Natural Rate of Interest for the Euro Area," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 42, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Mésonnier, J-S. & Renne, J-P., 2004. "A Time-Varying Natural Rate for the Euro Area," Working papers 115, Banque de France.
- Elena Márquez de la Cruz, 2005. "La elasticidad de sustitución intertemporal y el consumo duradero: un análisis para el caso español," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 29(3), pages 455-481, September.
- Atif Mian & Amir Sufi, 2012.
"The Effects of Fiscal Stimulus: Evidence from the 2009 Cash for Clunkers Program,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 127(3), pages 1107-1142.
- Atif Mian & Amir Sufi, 2010. "The Effects of Fiscal Stimulus: Evidence from the 2009 ‘Cash for Clunkers’ Program," NBER Working Papers 16351, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett, 2010. "Why Do Some Countries Undertake Structural Reforms When Others Do Not? Evidence From The Oecd And Emerging Market Economies," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(01), pages 81-103.
- Auteri, Monica & Costantini, Mauro, 2010. "A panel cointegration approach to estimating substitution elasticities in consumption," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 782-787, May.
- Bokan, Nikola & Hughes Hallett, Andrew, 2007.
"The Impact of Tax, Product and Labour Market Distortions on the Phillips Curve and the Natural Rate of Unemployment,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2007-42, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nikola Bokan & Andrew Hughes Hallett, 2007. "The Impact of Tax, Product and Labour Market Distortions on the Phillips Curve and the Natural Rate of Unemployment," Kiel Working Papers 1336, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Okubo, Masakatsu, 2008. "Intertemporal substitution and nonhomothetic preferences," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 41-47, January.
- Mauricio Arango & Carlos Esteban Posada & Jorge Andrés Tamayo, 2011. "El sistema crediticio, la política monetaria y un posible origen de ciclos y crisis financieras," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Kevin x.d. Huang & Engin Volkan & M. ege Yazgan, 2013. "Nonhomothetic Preferences with Habit Formation in Nondurable and Durable Consumption: Implications for Sectoral Comovement," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers vuecon-sub-13-00002, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.