Pregnancy and parenting among youth in foster care: A review
AbstractParenting during adolescence is often followed by a range of untoward outcomes of young parents and their children. The birth rate and experience of pregnancy and parenting for youth in foster care are, however, little studied. Emerging research suggests greater risk for early pregnancy or parenthood for this population. The research on possible reasons for this elevated risk is considered. This review reports the findings related to prevalence, risk factors, and protective factors for pregnancy and parenting among youth in foster care. Youth report their motivations for parenting and barriers to preventing pregnancy. Child welfare workers and administrators report lack of policy and practice guidance related to pregnancy prevention and reproductive healthcare for youth in foster care.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Children and Youth Services Review.
Volume (Year): 34 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/childyouth
Foster care; Child welfare; Pregnancy prevention; Reproductive health care;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Bong Joo & Goerge, Robert M., 1999. "Poverty, early childbearing, and child maltreatment: A multinomial analysis," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(9-10), pages 755-780.
- James, Sigrid & Montgomery, Susanne B. & Leslie, Laurel K. & Zhang, Jinjin, 2009. "Sexual risk behaviors among youth in the child welfare system," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 990-1000, September.
- Haight, Wendy & Finet, Dayna & Bamba, Sachiko & Helton, Jesse, 2009. "The beliefs of resilient African-American adolescent mothers transitioning from foster care to independent living: A case-based analysis," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 53-62, January.
- King, Bryn & Putnam-Hornstein, Emily & Cederbaum, Julie A. & Needell, Barbara, 2014. "A cross-sectional examination of birth rates among adolescent girls in foster care," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 179-186.
- Narendorf, Sarah Carter & Munson, Michelle R. & Levingston, Fredreka, 2013. "Managing moods and parenting: Perspectives of former system youth who struggle with emotional challenges," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 1979-1987.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.