The sophistication of exports: Is China special?
AbstractRecent studies have found that China is "special" in exporting highly sophisticated goods not comparable with its income level. In this paper we identify two measurement biases that account for this "China is special" observation. First, product quality has not been fully considered in the measurement of sophistication, which has caused an overestimation of the sophistication of China's exports. Second, the average income of China has been used to measure the export capability of China, which has caused an underestimation of China's capability of exporting sophisticated goods. After correcting the two measurement biases, China appears much less as an outlier in the cross-country comparison of the sophistication of exports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal China Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 21 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/chieco
China Export structure Product quality Sophistication;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhi Wang & Shang-Jin Wei, 2010.
"What Accounts for the Rising Sophistication of China's Exports?,"
in: China's Growing Role in World Trade, pages 63-104
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhi Wang & Shang-Jin Wei, 2008. "What Accounts for the Rising Sophistication of China's Exports?," NBER Working Papers 13771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ari Van Assche & Byron Gangnes, 2007.
"Electronics Production Upgrading: Is China Exceptional?,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Ari Van Assche & Byron Gangnes, 2010. "Electronics production upgrading: is China exceptional?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(5), pages 477-482.
- Ari Van Assche & Byron Gangnes, 2007. "Electronics Production Upgrading: Is China Exceptional?," Working Papers 200722, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Amiti, Mary & Freund, Caroline, 2008.
"The anatomy of China's export growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4628, The World Bank.
- Finger, J M & Kreinin, M E, 1979. "A Measure of 'Export Similarity' and Its Possible Uses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 905-12, December.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Jason Hwang & Dani Rodrik, 2005.
"What You Export Matters,"
NBER Working Papers
11905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Hwang, Jason & Rodrik, Dani, 2005. "What You Export Matters," Working Paper Series rwp05-063, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Hwang, Jason & Rodrik, Dani, 2006. "What You Export Matters," CEPR Discussion Papers 5444, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- XU, Bin & LU, Jiangyong, 2009. "Foreign direct investment, processing trade, and the sophistication of China's exports," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 425-439, September.
- Peter K. Schott, 2008.
"The relative sophistication of Chinese exports,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 23, pages 5-49, 01.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00962593 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pula, Gabor & Santabárbara, Daniel, 2011.
"Is China climbing up the quality ladder? Estimating cross country differences in product quality using Eurostat's COMEXT trade database,"
Working Paper Series
1310, European Central Bank.
- Pula, Gabor & Daniel Santabarbara, Daniel, 2012. "Is China climbing up the quality ladder?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 23/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Gabor Pula & Daniel Santabárbara, 2012. "Is china climbing up the quality ladder?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1209, Banco de Espa�a.
- Yue Gao & John Whalley & Yonglei Ren, 2013. "Decomposing China's Export Growth into Extensive Margin, Export Quality and Quantity Effects," CESifo Working Paper Series 4251, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gnidchenko, A., 2014.
"Improving the Methods for Estimating the Structure and the Basis of Export Potential through Export Diversification,"
Journal of the New Economic Association,
New Economic Association, vol. 21(1), pages 83-109.
- Gnidchenko, Andrey A., 2012.
"Новый Метод Оценки Структуры И Базы Экспортного Потенциала
[The new method for estimating the structure and the basis of export potential]," MPRA Paper 43691, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gnidchenko, Andrey A., 2012. "Новый Метод Оценки Структуры И Базы Экспортного Потенциала
- Jaejoon Woo, 2012. "Technological Upgrading in China and India: What Do We Know?," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 308, OECD Publishing.
- Zhu, Shujin & Fu, Xiaolan, 2013. "Drivers of Export Upgrading," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 221-233.
- Sun, Sizhong, 2012. "The role of FDI in domestic exporting: Evidence from China," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 434-441.
- Co, Catherine Y. & Dimova, Ralitza, 2014.
"Preferential Market Access into the Chinese Market: How Good is it for Africa?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7908, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Catherine Yap Co & Ralitza Dimova, 2014. "Preferential Market Access into the Chinese Market: How Good is it for Africa?," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 19614, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- repec:hal:gmonwp:halshs-00962593 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jarreau, Joachim & Poncet, Sandra, 2012. "Export sophistication and economic growth: Evidence from China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 281-292.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.