The impact of China on manufacturing exports of Italy and Germany
AbstractThis paper analyses the impact of China on the export performance of Italy and Germany to their main trading partners in the OECD markets. Given a strong specialization in the manufacturing sector, these two countries are exposed to China’s competition. Italy, with a productive structure based on so-called “traditional” sectors, is likely to be more vulnerable to China’s competitive pressure. Using data for the period 1995-2009, this paper estimates the impact of China on Italy and Germany’s market shares at a very disaggregated sector level. Results show that China has affected Italy’s and Germany’s market shares in different ways, especially during the post-WTO accession period, being on average more harmful for the former.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series RSCAS Working Papers with number 2012/26.
Date of creation: 13 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
China; Gravity Model; Market Shares; F-10; F-14;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2012-07-14 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INT-2012-07-14 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qureshi, M.S. & Wan, Guanghua, 2008.
"Trade Expansion of China and India: Threat or Opportunity,"
Working Paper Series
RP2008/08, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Guanghua Wan, 2008. "Trade Expansion of China and India: Threat or Opportunity?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(10), pages 1327-1350, October.
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Zignago, Soledad, 2004.
"Notes on BACI (analytical database of international trade). 1989-2002 version,"
32401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2010. "BACI: International Trade Database at the Product-Level. The 1994-2007 Version," Working Papers 2010-23, CEPII research center.
- Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Across-product Versus Within-product Specialization in International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(2), pages 646-677, May.
- Ricotta, Fernanda & Mannarino, Lidia & Pupo, Valeria & Succurro, Marianna, 2008. "Export quality in the machinery sector: Some evidence from main competitors," MPRA Paper 12677, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sanjaya Lall and Manuel Albaladejo (QEH), .
"China’s Competitive Performance: A Threat To East Asian Manufactured Exports?,"
QEH Working Papers
qehwps110, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2004. "China's Competitive Performance: A Threat to East Asian Manufactured Exports?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1441-1466, September.
- Pula, Gabor & Daniel Santabarbara, Daniel, 2012.
"Is China climbing up the quality ladder?,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
23/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Gabor Pula & Daniel Santabárbara, 2012. "Is china climbing up the quality ladder?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1209, Banco de Espa�a.
- Pula, Gabor & Santabárbara, Daniel, 2011. "Is China climbing up the quality ladder? Estimating cross country differences in product quality using Eurostat's COMEXT trade database," Working Paper Series 1310, European Central Bank.
- GAULIER, Guillaume & LEMOINE, Francoise & UNAL-KESENCI, Deniz, 2007.
"China's emergence and the reorganisation of trade flows in Asia,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 209-243.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Françoise Lemoine & Deniz Ünal, 2006. "China’s Emergence and the Reorganisation of Trade Flows in Asia," Working Papers 2006-05, CEPII research center.
- Ari Van Assche & Byron Gangnes, 2007.
"Electronics Production Upgrading: Is China Exceptional?,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Ari Van Assche & Byron Gangnes, 2010. "Electronics production upgrading: is China exceptional?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(5), pages 477-482.
- Ari Van Assche & Byron Gangnes, 2007. "Electronics Production Upgrading: Is China Exceptional?," Working Papers 200722, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- XU, Bin & LU, Jiangyong, 2009. "Foreign direct investment, processing trade, and the sophistication of China's exports," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 425-439, September.
- Barry Naughton, 2007. "The Chinese Economy: Transitions and Growth," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262640643, December.
- Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2011.
"Notes on CEPII’s distances measures: The GeoDist database,"
2011-25, CEPII research center.
- Mehdi Shafaeddin & Juan Pizarro, 2010. "The evolution of value added in assembly operations: the case of China and Mexico," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 373-397.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Marco Sanfilippo, 2009. "Do Chinese Exports Crowd-out African Goods? An Econometric Analysis by Country and Sector," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(4), pages 506-530, September.
- Sanjaya Lall, 2000. "The Technological Structure and Performance of Developing Country Manufactured Exports, 1985-98," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(3), pages 337-369.
- Barry Eichengreen & Yeongseop Rhee & Hui Tong, 2004. "The Impact of China on the Exports of Other Asian Countries," NBER Working Papers 10768, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jenkins, Rhys & Peters, Enrique Dussel & Moreira, Mauricio Mesquita, 2008. "The Impact of China on Latin America and the Caribbean," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 235-253, February.
- Robert Koopman & Zhi Wang & Shang-Jin Wei, 2008. "How Much of Chinese Exports is Really Made In China? Assessing Domestic Value-Added When Processing Trade is Pervasive," NBER Working Papers 14109, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alessia Amighini & Stefano Chiarlone, 2005. "Rischi dell'integrazione commerciale cinese per il modello di specializzazione internazionale dell'Italia," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 95(4), pages 63-86, July-Augu.
- Steven Husted, 2010. "The Rise of Chinese Exports," Working Papers 391, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2010.
- Lee Branstetter & Nicholas Lardy, 2006. "China's Embrace of Globalization," NBER Working Papers 12373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S.M. Shafaeddin, 2002. "The Impact Of China´S Accession To Wto On The Exports Of Developing Countries," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 160, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Christopher F Baum, 2006. "An Introduction to Modern Econometrics using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number imeus, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.