A note on detecting biases in assessing the use of FTAs
AbstractThere has been much confusion, rather than debate, on the use of free trade agreements (FTAs). Unfortunately, a large part of the confusion is caused by the absence of consensus on the meaning of key terms such as the “utilization rate” and “usage rate” of FTAs, and the lack of knowledge on upward or downward biases from various data sources regarding the use of FTAs. Rather than making an original empirical contribution, this article reviews existing studies and attempts to identify the relevant methodologies for assessing the use of FTAs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Asian Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/asieco
Free trade agreements (FTAs); Use of FTAs; Utilization of FTAs; Impacts of FTAs; Margin of preference (MoP);
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph Francois & Bernard Hoekman & Miriam Manchin, 2006.
"Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 20(2), pages 197-216.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard & Manchin, Miriam, 2005. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," CEPR Discussion Papers 5153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph Francois & B. Hoekman & M. Manchin, 2005. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp87, IIIS.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard & Manchin, Miriam, 2005. "Preference erosion and multilateral trade liberalization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3730, The World Bank.
- J. Francois & B. Hoekman & M. Manchin, 2005. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-073/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Céline CARRERE & Jaime MELO DE, 2004.
"Are Different Rules of Origin Equally Costly? Estimates from NAFTA,"
- Carrère, Céline & de Melo, Jaime, 2004. "Are Different Rules of Origin Equally Costly? Estimates from NAFTA," CEPR Discussion Papers 4437, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mary Amiti & John Romalis, 2007.
"Will the Doha Round Lead to Preference Erosion?,"
NBER Working Papers
12971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kazunobu HAYAKAWA & Daisuke HIRATSUKA & Kohei SHIINO & Seiya SUKEGAWA, 2009.
"Who Uses Free Trade Agreements?,"
DP-2009-22, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Baldwin, Richard, 2006.
"Managing the Noodle Bowl: The Fragility of East Asian Regionalism,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5561, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard E. Baldwin, 2008. "Managing The Noodle Bowl: The Fragility Of East Asian Regionalism," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 53(03), pages 449-478.
- Baldwin, Richard E., 2007. "Managing the Noodle Bowl: The Fragility of East Asian Regionalism," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 7, Asian Development Bank.
- Manchin, Miriam & Pelkmans-Balaoing, Annette O., 2008.
"Clothes without an Emperor: Analysis of the preferential tariffs in ASEAN,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 213-223, June.
- Miriam Manchin & Annette O. Pelkmans-Balaoing, 2007. "Clothes without an Emperor: Analysis of the Preferential Tariffs in ASEAN," Development Working Papers 223, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Suwendrani Jayaratne & Deshal De Mel & Dharshani Premaratne, 2011. "Utilization of Trade Agreements in Sri Lanka: Perceptions of Exporters vs. Statistical Measurements," Working Papers 9611, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Chheang, Vannarith & Hamanaka, Shintaro, 2011. "Impediments to Growth of the Garment and Food Industries in Cambodia: Exploring Potential Benefits of the ASEAN-PRC FTA," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 86, Asian Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.