Optimal Fractional Dickey-Fuller tests
AbstractThis article analyzes the fractional Dickey-Fuller (FDF) test for unit roots recently introduced by Dolado, Gonzalo and Mayoral (2002 Econometrica 70, 1963--2006) within a more general setup. These authors motivate their test with a particular analogy with the Dickey-Fuller test, whereas we interpret the FDF test as a class of tests indexed by an auxiliary parameter, which can be chosen to maximize the power of the test. Within this framework, we investigate optimality aspects of the FDF test and show that the version of the test proposed by these authors is not optimal. For the white noise case, we derive simple optimal FDF tests based on consistent estimators of the true degree of integration. For the serial correlation case, optimal augmented FDF (AFDF) tests are difficult to implement since they depend on the short-term component. Hence, we propose a feasible procedure that automatically optimizes a prewhitened version of the AFDF test and avoids this problem. Copyright Royal Economic Society 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal Econometrics Journal.
Volume (Year): 9 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Lobato, Ignacio N. & Velasco, Carlos, . "Optimal Fractional Dickey–Fuller tests," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/4527, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lasak, Katarzyna, 2010.
"Likelihood based testing for no fractional cointegration,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 67-77, September.
- Katarzyna Lasak, 2008. "Likelihood based testing for no fractional cointegration," CREATES Research Papers 2008-52, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Juan J. Dolado & Jesús Gonzalo & Laura Mayoral, 2003. "Testing for a Unit Root Against Fractional Alternatives in the Presence of a Maintained Trend," Working Papers 29, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Katarzyna Lasak, 2008. "Maximum likelihood estimation of fractionally cointegrated systems," CREATES Research Papers 2008-53, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Lobato, Ignacio N. & Velasco, Carlos, 2008.
"Power comparison among tests for fractional unit roots,"
Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 152-154, April.
- Lobato, Ignacio N. & Velasco, Carlos, . "Power comparison among tests for fractional unit roots," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/4372, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Morten Ørregaard Nielsen & A.M. Robert Taylor, 2013. "Bootstrap Fractional Integration Tests in Heteroskedastic ARFIMA Models," Working Papers 1309, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Dolado, Juan José & Gonzalo, Jesús & Mayoral, Laura, .
"Simple Wald tests of the fractional integration parameter : an overview of new results,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/2386, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Juan Jose Dolado & Jesus Gonzalo & Laura Mayoral, 2008. "Simple Wald tests of the fractional integration parameter : an overview of new results," Economics Working Papers we20080129, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Dolado, Juan José & Gonzalo, Jesús & Mayoral, Laura, . "Simple wald tests of the fractional integration parameter: an overview of new results," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3228, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.