Best Nonlinear Three-Stage Least Squares Estimation of Certain Econometric Models
AbstractA method is presented for estimating nonlinear simultaneous equations and transformation models in the presence of disturbance distribution of unknown form. It asymptotically achieves the lower variance bound for instrumental variables estimates. The author avoids smoothed nonparametric estimation, his instruments averaging over the unsmoothed empirical distribution of preliminary residuals. He allows for stationary serial dependence. In various settings, estimates are proposed and large-sample inference rules justified, these being unaffected if the optimal instruments use only an arbitrarily small vanishing fraction of the residuals. The author investigates theoretically the effect of such computational savings on the goodness of the normal approximation. Copyright 1991 by The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 59 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Linton, Oliver, 1995.
"Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1079-1112, September.
- Oliver Linton, 1993. "Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1065, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Lorenzo Pascual & Juan Romo & Esther Ruiz, 2001.
"Bootstrap Prediction Intervals For Power-Transformed Time Series,"
Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers
ws010503, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Pascual, Lorenzo & Romo, Juan & Ruiz, Esther, 2005. "Bootstrap prediction intervals for power-transformed time series," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 219-235.
- Y Nishiyama & Peter M Robinson, 1999. "Studentization in Edgworth Expansions for Estimates of Semiparametric Index Models - (Now published in C Hsiao, K Morimune and J Powell (eds): Nonlinear Statistical Modeling (Festschrift for Takeshi A," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1999/374, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oliver Linton, 2000.
"Edgeworth Approximations for Semiparametric Instrumental Variable Estimators and Test Statistics,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2000/399, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Linton, Oliver, 2002. "Edgeworth approximations for semiparametric instrumental variable estimators and test statistics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 325-368, February.
- Oliver Linton, 2000. "Edgeworth approximations for semiparametric instrumental variable estimators and test statistics," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2156, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hahn, Jinyong, 1997. "Efficient estimation of panel data models with sequential moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 1-21, July.
- Nour Meddahi & Éric Renault, 1998.
"Quadratic M-Estimators for ARCH-Type Processes,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Calzolari, Giorgio & Fiorentini, Gabriele, 1994. "Conditional heteroskedasticity in nonlinear simultaneous equations," MPRA Paper 24428, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hosoya, Yuzo & Terasaka, Takahiro, 2009. "Inference on transformed stationary time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 129-139, August.
- Oliver Linton, 1997. "Second Order Approximation in a Linear Regression with Heteroskedasticity for Unknown Form," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1151, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Fiteni, Inmaculada, 2002. "External bootstrap tests for parameter stability," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 275-303, August.
- Calzolari, Giorgio, 1992.
"Stima delle equazioni simultanee non-lineari: una rassegna
[Estimation of nonlinear simultaneous equations: a survey]," MPRA Paper 24123, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 1992.
- Tianxi Cai & Lu Tian & L. J. Wei, 2004. "Semi-parametric Box-Cox Power Transformation Models for Censored Survival Observations," Harvard University Biostatistics Working Paper Series 1006, Berkeley Electronic Press.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.