Dynamics and Asymmetric Adjustment in Insider-Outsider Models
AbstractThis paper analyzes the time consistent and efficient solution for wages and employment in intertemporal insider-outsider models of bargaining with endogenous membership. When the reservation wage is made endogenous in a general equilibrium context, insider-outsider models can generate a fundamental asymmetry in the adjustment of employment to the steady state. While upturns are gradual, severe downturns are characterized by a sharp drop in employment, obtained by laying off workers. Further reductions in employment are achieved solely through quits. Copyright 1992 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 102 (1992)
Issue (Month): 415 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Huizinga, F. & Schiantarelli, F., 1992. "Dynamics and Asymetric Adjustment in Insider-Outsider Models," Working Papers 92-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nyssens, Marthe & Van der Linden, Bruno, 2000.
"Embeddedness, cooperation and popular-economy firms in the informal sector,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 175-204, February.
- Nyssens, Marthe & Van der Linden, Bruno, 1998. "Embeddedness, cooperation and popular-economy firms in the informal sector," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1998025, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Oct 1998.
- Eriksson, S. & Gottfries, N., 2000.
"Ranking of Job Applicants, On-the-Job Search and Persistent Unemployment,"
2000:3, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2005. "Ranking of job applicants, on-the-job search, and persistent unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2000. "Ranking of job applicants, on-the-job search, and persistent unemployment," Working Paper Series 2000:8, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2000. "Ranking of Job Applicants, On-the-job Search and Persistent Unemployment," Working Paper Series 2000:3, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Boriss Siliverstovs, 2005.
"The Bi-parameter Smooth Transition Autoregressive model,"
AccessEcon, vol. 3(23), pages 1-11.
- Boriss Siliverstovs, . "The Bi-parameter Smooth Transition AutoRegressive model," Economics Working Papers 2000-16, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Pull, Kerstin, 1996. "Übertarifliche Entlohnung : ein Ergebnis vorweggenommener Verhandlungen (Wages above the collectively agreed level: a result of anticipated negotiations)," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 29(4), pages 607-615.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2005:i:23:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:iab:iabmit:v:29:i:4:p:607-615 is not listed on IDEAS
- Van der Linden, Bruno, 1997. "Basic income and unemployment in a unionized economy," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1997014, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 10 Jul 1997.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.