Aid Flows and Growth Diagnosis: Empirical Evidence for A Panel of ECOWAS Countries
AbstractThis article investigates if the stability of aid flows has an impact on investment and economic growth for the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) countries using pooled panel regression from 1970-2008. The results suggest that foreign aid has a positive and significant impact on investment, but a negative impact on economic growth. The uncertainty variable has a negative and statistically significant impact on both economic growth and investment
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Aid; Aid Uncertainty; Investment; Economic Growth.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carl-Johan Dalgaard & Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2001.
"On the Empirics of Foreign Aid and Growth,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
03-13, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics, revised Sep 2003.
- Chatterjee, Santanu & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 2007.
"Foreign aid and economic growth: The role of flexible labor supply,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 507-533, September.
- Santanu Chatterjee & Stephen Turnovsky, 2005. "Foreign Aid and Economic Growth: The Role of Flexible Labor Supply," Working Papers UWEC-2004-07-P, University of Washington, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2005.
- Gupta, Kanhaya L, 1975. "Foreign Capital Inflows, Dependency Burden, and Saving Rates in Developing Countries: A Simultaneous Equation Model," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(2), pages 358-74.
- Griffin, Keith, 1970. "Foreign Capital, Domestic Savings and Economic Development," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 32(2), pages 99-112, May.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Stoneman, Colin, 1975. "Foreign capital and economic growth," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 11-26, January.
- Simon Feeny, 2005. "The Impact of Foreign Aid on Economic Growth in Papua New Guinea," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(6), pages 1092-1117.
- Levy, Victor, 1988. "Aid and growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: The recent experience," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1777-1795, November.
- Burnside, Craig & Dollar, David, 1997.
"Aid, policies, and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1777, The World Bank.
- Mosley, Paul & Hudson, John & Horrell, Sara, 1987. "Aid, the Public Sector and the Market in Less Developed Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 616-41, September.
- Papanek, Gustav F, 1973. "Aid, Foreign Private Investment, Savings, and Growth in Less Developed Countries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(1), pages 120-30, Jan.-Feb..
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Manuchehr Irandoust, 2005. "Foreign Aid And Economic Growth: New Evidence From Panel Cointegration," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 71-80, June.
- Georgios Karras, 2006. "Foreign aid and long-run economic growth: empirical evidence for a panel of developing countries," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 15-28.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.