Industry, Foreign Trade and Employment in EU Countries; Comparison of France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK with the United States
AbstractThe main aim of this article is to analyze the effects of industrial and trade policy of the European Union on economic development, with particular reference to the negative effects of excessive trade deficits and industrial decline in some EU countries in the period 2000-2010. We compare 5 major EU countries (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom) with Switzerland and the United States. We present some macro-econometric models to quantify the positive effects of industry on economic development, employment and real wages. The main conclusion is that Foreign Trade Deficits may lead to unsustainable development and unemployment when they are excessive and are not accompanied by industrial development policies and financial support. Our suggestion is that EU industrial policy should be more effective in order to improve development and quality of life of EU citizens and to avoid financial crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Applied Econometrics and International Development.
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- E2 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- O51 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - U.S.; Canada
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guisan, M.C. & Aguayo, Eva, 2007. "Wages, Productivity And Human Capital In The European Union: Econometric Models And Comparison With The Usa 1985-2005," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(1).
- Guisan, M.C., 2006. "Industry, Foreign Trade and Development: Econometric Models of Europe and North America, 1965-2003," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 3(1), pages 5-30.
- Guisan, M.Carmen, 2004. "A Comparison of Causality Tests Applied to the Bilateral Relationship between Consumption and GDP in the USA and Mexico," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 1(1), pages 115-130.
- GUISAN, Maria-Carmen, 2011. "Industry, Fair Competition And Trade In Oecd Countries: Impact On Wages And On Employment By Sector, 2000-2010," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 11(2).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.