The Spirit Of Capitalism, Asset Returns, And The Business Cycle
AbstractWe evaluate whether the spirit of capitalism improves the ability of the real business cycle model to explain the main features of both asset return and the business cycle. In our model, the spirit of capitalism is embodied in the assumption that individuals have preferences for financial wealth. Our simulation results suggest that this assumption may improve the model s ability to explain the risk-free rate puzzle but not the equity premium puzzle. This assumption also markedly deteriorates the model s ability to account for the main features of the business cycle.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Macroeconomic Dynamics.
Volume (Year): 11 (2007)
Issue (Month): 02 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_MDYProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Richard M. H. Suen, 2014.
"Time Preference And The Distributions Of Wealth And Income,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 52(1), pages 364-381, 01.
- Richard M. H. Suen, 2012. "Time Preference and the Distribution of Wealth and Income," Working papers 2012-01, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Suen, Richard M. H., 2010. "Time Preference and the Distributions of Wealth and Income," MPRA Paper 26021, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard M. H. Suen, 2010. "Time Preference and the Distributions of Wealth and Income," Working Papers 201004, University of California at Riverside, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2010.
- Karnizova, Lilia, 2010.
"The spirit of capitalism and expectation-driven business cycles,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 739-752, September.
- Lilia Karnizova, 2008. "The Spirit of Capitalism and Expectation Driven Business Cycles," Working Papers 0804E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.