Product differentiation and the gains from trade under Bertrand duopoly
AbstractIn the literature on the welfare effects of free trade under imperfect competition, one important case seems to have been overlooked, and that is the Bertrand duopoly model with differentiated products. Although many authors have analysed the welfare effects of free trade under Cournot duopoly and demonstrated the possibility of losses from trade, there has been no thorough analysis of the welfare effects of free trade under Bertrand duopoly. In this article we present a thorough analysis of the welfare effects of free trade under Bertrand duopoly with differentiated products, and it is shown that there are always gains from trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Collie, David R & Roger Clarke, 2003. "Product Differentiation and the Gains from Trade under Bertrand Duopoly," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003, Royal Economic Society 47, Royal Economic Society.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kikuchi, Toru, 2008.
"Switching Costs and the foreign Firm's Entry,"
8093, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2007:i:33:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Friberg, Richard & Ganslandt, Mattias, 2005.
"Reciprocal Dumping with Bertrand Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
5023, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Friberg, Richard & Ganslandt, Mattias, 2005. "Reciprocal dumping with Bertrand competition," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 592, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Friberg, Richard & Ganslandt, Mattias, 2005. "Reciprocal Dumping with Bertrand Competition," Working Paper Series, Research Institute of Industrial Economics 638, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- David R. Collie & Vo Phuong Mai Le, 2010.
"Antidumping Regulations: Anti-Competitive and Anti-Export,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 796-806, November.
- Collie, David R. & Le, Vo Phuong Mai, 2008. "Anti-Dumping Regulations: Anti-Competitive and Anti-Export," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2008/27, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Roger Clarke & David R. Collie, 2008. "Maximum-revenue versus Optimum-welfare Export Taxes: a Delegation Game," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 919-929, November.
- Jan Bouckaert & Bruno De Borger, 2013.
"Price competition between subsidized organizations,"
Journal of Economics, Springer,
Springer, vol. 109(2), pages 117-145, June.
- BOUCKAERT, Jan & DE BORGER, Bruno, 2010. "Price competition between subsidized organizations," Working Papers 2010019, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2006:i:6:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Leonard Wang & Ya-Chin Wang & Lihong Zhao, 2009. "Trade liberalization, intra-industry trade and the environment: competition mode and the order of firmsâ€™ moves," International Review of Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 56(2), pages 133-144, June.
- Collie, David R. & Le, Vo Phuong Mai, 2011. "Product Differentiation, the Volume of Trade and Profits under Cournot and Bertrand Duopoly," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2011/26, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Friberg, Richard & Ganslandt, Mattias, 2006. "An empirical assessment of the welfare effects of reciprocal dumping," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Takanori Ago & Ikumo Isono & Takatoshi Tabuchi, 2006. "Locational disadvantage of the hub," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 819-848, December.
- Bouwe R. Dijkstra & Anuj J. Mathew & Arijit Mukherjeea, 2011. "Strict environmental policy: An incentive for FDI," Faculty Working Papers, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra 08/11, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Arijit Mukherjee, 2007. "Entry in a Stackelberg perfect equilibrium," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(33), pages 1-6.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 2010.
"Oligopoly and Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
8172, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Neary & Dermot Leahy, 2010. "Oligopoly and Trade," Economics Series Working Papers 517, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Dermot Leahy & J. Peter Neary, 2010. "Oligopoly And Trade," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth n215-10.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Clarke, Roger & Collie, David R., 2006.
"Export Taxes under Bertrand Duopoly,"
Cardiff Economics Working Papers
E2006/15, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Fujiwara, Kenji, 2009. "Trade liberalization in a differentiated duopoly reconsidered," Research in Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 165-171, September.
- Collie, David R., 2009. "Tacit Collusion over Foreign Direct Investment under Oligopoly," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2009/8, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.