Interest Parity, Cointegration, and the Term Structure in Canada and the United States
AbstractIn this paper, the author uses a simple but powerful technique to examine two models of the term structure for an open economy. Cointegration tests using two data sets for Canada and the United States support the open economy model based on uncovered interest parity as an explanation for the Canadian term structure of interest rates. Support for the generalized-present-value model is, at best, mixed. This lack of support may be attributable to low test power due to the author's smaller sample or to differences in the periods examined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chiang, Thomas C. & Kim, Doseong, 2000. "Short-term eurocurrency rate behavior and specifications of cointegrating processes," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 157-179.
- Darrat, Ali F. & Al-Mutawa, Ahmed & Benkato, Omar M., 1996. "On currency substitution and money demand instability," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 321-334.
- Wong, Edwin & Lucia, Kathlyn & Price, Stephanie & Startz, Richard, 2011.
"The changing relation between the Canadian and U.S. yield curves,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 965-981, October.
- Kathlyn Lucia & Stephanie Price & Edwin Wong & Richard Startz, 2008. "The Changing Relation Between the Canadian and U.S. Yield Curves," Working Papers UWEC-2008-05, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Meredith Beechey & Erik Hjalmarsson & Par Osterholm, 2008.
"Testing the expectations hypothesis when interest rates are near integrated,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
953, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Beechey, Meredith & Hjalmarsson, Erik & sterholm, Pr, 2009. "Testing the expectations hypothesis when interest rates are near integrated," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 934-943, May.
- Fung, Ben & Mitnick, Scott & Remolona, Eli, 1999. "Uncovering Inflation Expectations and Risk Premiums From Internationally Integrated Financial Markets," Working Papers 99-6, Bank of Canada.
- Antoine Bouveret, 2010. "Politiques économiques, dynamique et équilibre de long terme du taux de change," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/53r60a8s3ku, Sciences Po.
- Mark J. Holmes & Theodore Panagiotidis & Jesus Otero, 2010.
"The term structure of interest rates, the expectations hypothesis and international financial integration: Evidence from Asian Economies,"
Discussion Paper Series
2010_18, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Nov 2009.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Otero, Jesús & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2011. "The term structure of interest rates, the expectations hypothesis and international financial integration: Evidence from Asian economies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 679-689, October.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesús Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates, the Expectations Hypothesis and International Financial Integration: Evidence from Asian Economies," Working Paper Series 34_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Anoruo, Emmanuel & Ramchander, Sanjay & Thiewes, Harold F., 2002. "International linkage of interest rates: Evidence from the emerging economies of Asia," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 217-235.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/53r60a8s3kup1vc9kd52ge69h is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.