Tous unis contre le protectionnisme des pays du Nord ?
AbstractEven if the debate on globalization pits sceptics and enthusiasts against one another, they seem to agree at least on exposing the protectionism of developed countries. This is illustrated by a recent report by OXFAM on trade, the way some enthusiasts have reacted to it, and miscellaneous interventions both by enthusiasts and sceptics. Could that point a possibility of reconciliation? On the one hand, the usual tools used by enthusiasts to analyse the effects of liberalization actually show that the gains from further liberalization by developed countries would be limited and would accrue mainly to themselves. On the other hand, the models that would show that liberalization by developed countries could be crucial for poor countries?development also show that it might not be in the best interest of poor countries to liberalize. So no reconciliation seems in sight.JEL codes : F02, F17, F12, F13.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue de l'OFCE.
Volume (Year): 84 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-de-l-ofce.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Guillaume Daudin, 2004. "Tous unis contre le protectionisme des pays du Nord," International Trade 0411006, EconWPA, revised 07 Dec 2004.
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Dollar & Aart Kraay, 2004.
"Trade, Growth, and Poverty,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages F22-F49, 02.
- François Benaroya & Jean-Pierre Cling, 2001. "Crise du développement et impasse des négociations commerciales multilatérales," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 16(2), pages 73-117.
- Nicholas Crafts & Anthony Venables, 2003.
"Globalization in History.A Geographical Perspective,"
in: Globalization in Historical Perspective, pages 323-370
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicholas Crafts & Anthony J. Venables, 2002. "Globalization in History: A Geographical Perspective," CEP Discussion Papers dp0524, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Crafts, Nicholas & Venables, Anthony J., 2001. "Globalization in History: A Geographical Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 3079, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicholas Crafts & Tony Venables, 2002. "Globalization in history: a geographical perspective," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2135, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Geoffrey J. Bannister, 2001. "International Trade and Poverty Alleviation," IMF Working Papers 01/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Sébastien Dessus & Kiichiro Fukasaku & Raed Safadi, 2001. "Multilateral Tariff Liberalisation and the Developing Countries," OECD Development Centre Policy Briefs 18, OECD Publishing.
- Antoine d'Autume & Philippe Michel, 1993.
"Hystérésis et piège du sous-développement dans un modèle de croissance endogène,"
Programme National Persée, vol. 44(2), pages 431-450.
- Antoine d'Autume & Philippe Michel, 1993. "Hystérésis et piège du sous-développement dans un modèle de croissance endogène," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(2), pages 431-450.
- Azariadis, Costas & Drazen, Allan, 1990. "Threshold Externalities in Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(2), pages 501-26, May.
- Guillaume Daudin, 2003. "La logistique de la mondialisation," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 87(4), pages 409-435.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.