The Role of Segregation and Pay Structure on the Gender Wage Gap: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data for Spain
AbstractThis paper presents new evidence on the role of gender segregation and pay structure in explaining gender wage differentials of full-time salaried workers in Spain. Data from the 1995 and 2002 Wage Structure Surveys reveal that raw gender wage gaps decreased from 0.24 to 0.14 over the seven-year period. Average differences in the base wage and wage complements decreased from 0.09 to 0.05 and from 0.59 to 0.40, respectively. However, the gender wage gap is still large after accounting for workers’ human capital, job and pay structure characteristics, and female segregation into low-paying industries, occupations, establishments, and occupations within establishments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy.
Volume (Year): 5 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sara de la Rica, 2007. "Segregación ocupacional y diferencias salariales por género en España: 1995-2002," Working Papers 2007-35, FEDEA.
- Olga Alonso Villar & Coral del Río, 2010. "Segregation of female and male workers in Spain: occupations and industries," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 194(3), pages 91-121, June.
- Carlos Gradín & Coral del Río, 2009. "Aspectos distributivos de las diferencias salariales por razón de género en España: un análisis por subgrupos poblacionales," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 189(2), pages 9-46, June.
- Coral del Río & Carlos Gradín & Olga Cantó, 2006. "Pobreza y discriminación salarial por razón de género en España," Working Papers 0606, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Hipolito, Simon, 2008.
"International Differences in Wage Inequality: A New Glance with European Matched Employer-Employee Data,"
7932, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hipólito Simón, 2010. "International Differences in Wage Inequality: A New Glance with European Matched Employer-Employee Data," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 48(2), pages 310-346, 06.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2008. "Occupational and industrial segregation of female and male workers in Spain: An alternative approach," Working Papers 84, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Mario Izquierdo & Aitor Lacuesta, 2006.
"Wage inequality in Spain: recent developments,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0615, Banco de Espa�a.
- Barón, Juan D. & Cobb-Clark, Deborah A., 2008.
"Occupational Segregation and the Gender Wage Gap in Private- and Public-Sector Employment: A Distributional Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3562, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Juan D. Bar�N & Deborah A. Cobb-Clark, 2010. "Occupational Segregation and the Gender Wage Gap in Private- and Public-Sector Employment: A Distributional Analysis," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 86(273), pages 227-246, 06.
- Kangasniemi, Mari & Kauhanen, Antti, 2011. "Performance-related pay and gender wage differences," Discussion Papers 1249, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Hipólito Simón, 2009. "La desigualdad salarial en España: Una perspectiva internacional y temporal," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 33(3), pages 439-471, September.
- de la Rica, Sara & Dolado, Juan J. & Vegas, Raquel, 2010.
"Performance Pay and the Gender Wage Gap: Evidence from Spain,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7936, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de la Rica, Sara & Dolado, Juan José & Vegas, Raquel, 2010. "Performance Pay and the Gender Wage Gap: Evidence from Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 5032, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fernando Munoz-Bullon, 2008. "The gap between male and female pay in the Spanish tourism industry," Business Economics Working Papers wb085713, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.