Unbundling R&D and Manufacturing: Postindustrial Myth or Economic Reality?
AbstractUnderstanding determinants of business location decisions is important from the point of view of economic policy. While the determinants of manufacturing and R&D location have been extensively covered in the literature, in this article we examine a largely neglected question: Under what conditions do manufacturing and R&D have to be physically colocated, that is, when is unbundling the two impossible? In a sample of 241 Finnish industrial firms, we find that unbundling R&D and manufacturing is possible for some companies but indeed a postindustrial myth of sorts for many others. The need for colocation correlates with knowledge intensity of activities: product complexity, process complexity, and industry rate of change, but interestingly enough, not with the size of the firm's R&D budget. Copyright 2009 by The Policy Studies Organization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Policy Studies Organization in its journal Review of Policy Research.
Volume (Year): 26 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1541-1338
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Moncada-Paternò-Castello, Pietro & Vivarelli, Marco & Voigt, Peter, 2011.
"Drivers and Impacts in the Globalization of Corporate R&D: An Introduction Based on the European Experience,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5582, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pietro Moncada-Patern�-Castello & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2011. "Drivers and impacts in the globalization of corporate R&D: an introduction based on the European experience," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(2), pages 585-603, April.
- Pietro Moncada-Paterno-Castello & Peter Voigt & Marco Vivarelli, 2011. "Evolution of Globalised business R&D: Features, drivers, impacts," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2011-02, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Dachs, Bernhard & Ebersberger, Bernd & Kinkel, Steffen & Som, Oliver, 2014.
"The effects of production offshoring on R&D and innovation in the home country,"
Discussion Papers "Innovation Systems and Policy Analysis"
39, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Bernhard Dachs & Bernd Ebersberger, 2013. "The Effects of Production Offshoring on R&D and Innovation in the Home Country," FIW Research Reports series V-001, FIW.
- Isabel Tecu, 2013. "The Location of Industrial Innovation: Does Manufacturing Matter?," Working Papers 13-09, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Aittomäki, Akseli & Martikainen, Pekka & Laaksonen, Mikko & Lahelma, Eero & Rahkonen, Ossi, 2012. "Household economic resources, labour-market advantage and health problems – A study on causal relationships using prospective register data," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(7), pages 1303-1310.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.