The Distribution of Household Income and Expenditure in Portugal: 1980 and 1990
AbstractFrom 1980 to 1990, Portugal experienced a generalized liberalization of economic activity due in large part to its 1986 integration in the European Union. This paper studies the changes in the Portuguese distribution of household income and expenditure during this period using microdata on household budgets and applying recent developments in statistical inference for Lorenz curves. The authors find a significant increase in six measures of welfare and an unambiguous decrease in the inequality of the respective distributions. Different explanations for the findings of decreased inequality are discussed. Copyright 1995 by The International Association for Research in Income and Wealth.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Research in Income and Wealth in its journal Review of Income & Wealth.
Volume (Year): 41 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6586
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pendakur, K., 1999.
"Taking Prices Seriously in the Measurement of Inequality,"
dp99-7, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Pendakur, Krishna, 2002. "Taking prices seriously in the measurement of inequality," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 47-69, October.
- Gouveia, Miguel & Oliver, David, 1996. "Voting over flat taxes in an endowment economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 251-258, February.
- Carlos Farinha Rodrigues, 1999. "Income distribution and poverty in Portugal (1994/95)," Working Papers 1999/04, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- del Rio, Coral & Ruiz-Castillo, Javier, 2001.
"Intermediate Inequality and Welfare: The Case of Spain, 1980-81 to 1990-91,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 47(2), pages 221-37, June.
- Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Río, Coral del, 2001. "Intermediate inequality and welfare : the case of Spain, 1980-81 to 1990-91," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/4756, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Río, Coral del & Ruiz-Castillo, Javier, . "Intermediate inequality and welfare. The case of Spain, 1980-81 to 1990-91," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/10344, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Thomas F. Crossley & Krishna Pendakur, 2002. "Consumption Inequality," Department of Economics Working Papers 2002-09, McMaster University.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00586795 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Garner, Thesia & Sastre, Mercedes, 2003. "The influence of demographics and household specific price indices on expenditure based inequality and welfare : a comparison of Spain and the United States," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/4748, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Río, Coral del & Ruiz-Castillo, Javier, 2001.
"Accounting for the decline in Spanish household expenditures inequality during the 1980s,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/4759, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Coral del Rio & Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2001. "Accounting for the decline in Spanish household expenditures inequality during the 1980s," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 151-175.
- repec:eui:euidis:urn:hdl:1814/4881 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alvaredo, Facundo, 2009. "Top incomes and earnings in Portugal 1936-2005," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 404-417, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.