Equilibrium with Default and Endogenous Collateral
AbstractWe study a two-period general equilibrium model with incomplete asset markets and default. We make collateral endogenous by allowing each seller of assets to fix the level of collateral. Sellers are required to provide collateral whose first-period value, per unit of asset, exceeds the asset price by an arbitrarily small amount. Moreover, borrowers are also required to be fully covered by the purchase, in the first period, of state-by-state default insurance. These insurance contracts are offered by lenders. The insurance cost or revenue is a linear charge and plays the role of a spread penalizing borrowers who will incur in default and benefiting lenders who will suffer default. Under these assumptions, equilibrium always exists. Copyright Blackwell Publishers, Inc. 2000.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Mathematical Finance.
Volume (Year): 10 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0960-1627
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aloisio Araujo, 2002.
"As Leis de Falência: uma Abordagem Econômica,"
Working Papers Series
57, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Araújo, Aloísio Pessoa de, 2003. "As Leis de Falência: Uma Abordagem Econômica," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 474, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Nuno Gouveia, 2004. "General equilibrium with asymmetric information and default penalties," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques b05051, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), revised Jan 2005.
- MÃ¡rio PÃ¡scoa & Aloisio Araujo & JosÃ© Fajardo, 2004.
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
161, Econometric Society.
- Araujo, Aloisio. & Fajardo, J. & Páscoa. M. R., 2004. "Endogenous Collateral," Finance Lab Working Papers flwp_68, Finance Lab, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Páscoa, Mario Rui & Araújo, Aloísio Pessoa de & Barbachan, José Fajardo, 2003. "Endogenous Collateral," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 511, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Páscoa, Mario Rui & Araújo, Aloísio Pessoa de & Barbachan, José Fajardo, 2001.
"Endogenous Collateral: Arbitrage and Equilibrium without Bounded Short Sales,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
418, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Araujo, A. & Fajardo, J & Páscoa, M. R., 2003. "Endogenous Collateral: Arbitrage and Equilibrium without Bounded Short Sales," Finance Lab Working Papers flwp_52, Finance Lab, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Jaime Jose Orrillo Carhuajulca, 2000.
"Default and Exogenous Collateral in Incomplete Markets with a Continuum of States,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1860, Econometric Society.
- Orrillo, Jaime, 2001. "Default and exogenous collateral in incomplete markets with a continuum of states," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 151-165, February.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00195526 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jaime Luque, 2014. "Wages, local amenities and the rise of the multi-skilled city," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 52(2), pages 457-467, March.
- Rubén Poblete-Cazenave & Juan Torres-Martínez, 2013.
"Equilibrium with limited-recourse collateralized loans,"
Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 181-211, May.
- Rubén Poblete-Cazenave & Juan Pablo Torres-Martínez, 2010. "Equilibrium with limited-recourse collateralized loans," Working Papers wp313, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Wooders, M. & Selten, R. & Cartwright, E., 2001. "Some First Results for Noncooperative Pregames : Social Conformity and Equilibrium in Pure Strategies," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 589, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii, 2014. "Prices and Investment with Collateral and Default," Working Papers 143, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Wooders, Myrna & Edward Cartwright & Selten, Reinhard, 2002. "Social Conformity And Equilibrium In Pure Strategies In Games With Many Players," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 636, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Fajardo, J., 2004.
"A Note On Arbitrage and Exogenus Collateral,"
Finance Lab Working Papers
flwp_62, Finance Lab, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Aloísio Araújo & Susan Schommer & Michael Woodford, 2013. "Conventional and Unconventional Monetary Policy with Endogenous Collateral Constraints," NBER Working Papers 19711, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Madan, Dilip B., 2004. "Monitored financial equilibria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2213-2235, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.