The Stability of EMU-Wide Money Demand Functions and the Monetary Policy Strategy of the European Central Bank
AbstractIn this paper we investigate whether monetary aggregates could play a role as either intermediate targets or indicators of the single monetary policy of the European Central Bank (ECB). To this end, we estimate money demand functions for the European Economic and Monetary Union and test for their stability. Our estimations suggest that M3H in particular can play a role in both a monetary and an inflation targeting strategy. If the ECB chooses to opt for an inflation targeting strategy MR and even M1, in addition to M3H, may well serve as important indicators, alongside a number of other financial and real variables. Copyright 2000 by Blackwell Publishers Ltd and The Victoria University of Manchester
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Manchester in its journal Manchester School.
Volume (Year): 68 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manchester M13 9PL
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1463-6786
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arnold, Ivo J.M. & Roelands, Sebastian, 2010. "The demand for euros," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 674-684, June.
- Browne, Frank & Kelly, Robert, 2010. "Central Bank Credibility and Income Velocity in a Monetary Union," Quarterly Bulletin Articles, Central Bank of Ireland, pages 77-92, October.
- Carstensen, Kai & Gern, Klaus-Jürgen & Kamps, Christophe & Scheide, Joachim, 2003. "Euroland: Stagnation wird allmählich überwunden," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3081, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Kai Carstensen, 2003. "Is European Money Demand Still Stable?," Kiel Working Papers 1179, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Kajanoja, Lauri, 2003. "Money as an indicator variable for monetary policy when money demand is forward looking," Research Discussion Papers 9/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Qayyum, Abdul, 2005.
"Modelling the Demand for Money in Pakistan,"
2057, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- Lauri Kajanoja, 2004. "Money as an indicator variable for monetary policy when money demand is forward looking," Macroeconomics 0405003, EconWPA.
- Ferda HALICIOGLU & Mehmet UGUR, 2005. "On Stability of the Demand for Money in a Developing OECD," Macroeconomics 0508001, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.