Adverse Selection, Spread Behavior, and Over-the-Counter Seasoned Equity Offerings
AbstractIn this paper the effects of over-the-counter seasoned equity issuances on the percentage bid-ask spreads around announcement and offer dates are examined. A declining spread in the pre-announcement period suggests that resolution of information asymmetry begins well before the announcement date. Further, using issue size as a proxy for the extent of information asymmetry, the authors observe that spreads for larger issues reach "normal" levels before the first public disclosure of the offering. For smaller issues this occurs only on the offer date. Results are consistent with the dealer experiencing reduced adverse information risk as a result of information-gathering efforts during the underwriting process.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association in its journal Journal of Financial Research.
Volume (Year): 15 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0270-2592
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ginglinger, Edith & Koenig-Matsoukis, Laure & Riva, Fabrice, 2013. "Seasoned equity offerings: Stock market liquidity and the rights offer paradox," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10852, Paris Dauphine University.
- Kryzanowski, Lawrence & Rubalcava, Arturo, 2004. "Valuation effects of domestic and international seasoned equity offerings by Canadian cross-listed firms," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 171-186, April.
- Kryzanowski, Lawrence & Lazrak, Skander & Rakita, Ian, 2010. "Behavior of liquidity and returns around Canadian seasoned equity offerings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2954-2967, December.
- Riva, Fabrice & Ginglinger, Edith & Koenig-Matsoukis, Laure, 2009. "Stock market liquidity and the rights offer paradox," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3035, Paris Dauphine University.
- Spiess, D. Katherine & Affleck-Graves, John, 1995. "Underperformance in long-run stock returns following seasoned equity offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 243-267, July.
- Koenig-Matsoukis, Laure & Riva, Fabrice & Ginglinger, Edith, 2009. "Stock market liquidity and the rights offer paradox," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2939, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.