Methods of Payment in Asset Sales: Contracting with Equity versus Cash
AbstractWe analyze intercorporate asset sales where equity is the means of payment, and compare the results to cash asset sales. Equity deals are value-enhancing for both buyers, 10%, and sellers, 3%, while cash sales generate seller returns of 1.9% and buyer returns that are not significant. Combined wealth gains are large for equity deals, but modest for cash deals. Equity-based asset sales are not a precursor to consolidations between buyers and sellers, and do not affect buyer openness to the takeover market. We conclude that the use of buyer equity conveys favorable information about the value of assets and buyers. Copyright 2005 by The American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 60 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hege, Ulrich & Lovo, Stefano & Slovin, Myron & Sushka, Marie, 2006.
"Equity and cash in intercorporate asset sales : theory and evidence,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
859, HEC Paris.
- Ulrich Hege & Stefano Lovo & Myron B. Slovin & Marie E. Sushka, 2009. "Equity and Cash in Intercorporate Asset Sales: Theory and Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(2), pages 681-714, February.
- Warusawitharana, Missaka, 2008. "Corporate asset purchases and sales: Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 471-497, February.
- Kien Cao & Jeff Madura, 2011. "Determinants of the Method of Payment in Asset Sell‐Off Transactions," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 643-670, November.
- Sugata Ray & Missaka Warusawitharana, 2007.
"An efficiency perspective on the gains from mergers and asset purchases,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2007-39, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ray Sugata & Warusawitharana Missaka, 2009. "An Efficiency Perspective on the Gains from Mergers and Asset Purchases," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-27, October.
- Missaka Warusawitharana, 2007. "Corporate asset purchases and sales: theory and evidence," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2007-27, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.