Factors Affecting the Magnitude of Premiums Paid to Target-Firm Shareholders in Corporate Acquisitions
AbstractThe wide range of reported abnormal returns to target-firm shareholders has recently encouraged several researchers to investigate the determinants of the magnitude of these returns. This paper extends the work of these authors by presenting and testing a model of the premium paid to target-firm shareholders in completed corporate acquisitions. The model examines the premium as opposed to the more traditional abnormal return to focus on those factors that might be considered by a bidding-firm's management in the formulation of its offering price. The study also contributes to the corporate control literature by examining a larger data set than previous studies (748 acquisitions that occurred between 1964 and 1983), by ex amining variables that have not been examined in previous studies, and by examining interactions between variables. Copyright 1988 by MIT Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eastern Finance Association in its journal The Financial Review.
Volume (Year): 23 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Flanagan, David J. & O'Shaughnessy, K. C., 2003. "Core-related acquisitions, multiple bidders and tender offer premiums," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(8), pages 573-585, August.
- Madura, Jeff & Ngo, Thanh & Viale, Ariel M., 2012. "Why do merger premiums vary across industries and over time?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 49-62.
- Billett, Matthew T. & Ryngaert, Mike, 1997. "Capital structure, asset structure and equity takeover premiums in cash tender offers," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 141-165, April.
- Ahern, Kenneth R., 2012. "Bargaining power and industry dependence in mergers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 530-550.
- Madura, Jeff & Ngo, Thanh & Viale, Ariel M., 2011. "Convergent synergies in the global market for corporate control," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2468-2478, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.