Use of loan loss provisions for capital, earnings management and signalling by Australian banks
AbstractThis study examines whether and to what extent Australian banks use loan loss provisions (LLPs) for capital, earnings management and signalling. We examine if there were changes in the use of LLPs as a result of the implementation of banking regulations consistent with the Basel Accord of 1988, which made loan loss reserves no longer part of Tier I capital in the numerator of the capital adequacy ratio. We find some evidence to indicate that Australian banks use LLPs for capital management, but we find no evidence of a change in this behaviour after the implementation of the Basel Accord. Our results indicate that banks in Australia use LLPs to manage earnings. Furthermore, listed commercial banks engage more aggressively in earnings management using LLPs than unlisted commercial banks. We also find that earnings management behaviour is more pronounced in the post-Basel period. Overall, we find a significant understating of LLPs in the post-Basel period relative to the pre-Basel period. This indicates that reported earnings might not reflect the true economic reality underlying those numbers. Finally, Australian banks do not appear to use LLPs for signalling future intentions of higher earnings to investors. Copyright (c) The Authors Journal compilation (c) 2007 AFAANZ.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand in its journal Accounting and Finance.
Volume (Year): 47 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0810-5391
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stergios Leventis & Panagiotis Dimitropoulos & Asokan Anandarajan, 2011. "Loan Loss Provisions, Earnings Management and Capital Management under IFRS: The Case of EU Commercial Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 103-122, October.
- Vincent Bouvatier & Laetitia Lepetit & Frank Strobel, 2013. "Bank Income Smoothing, Ownership Concentration and the Regulatory Environment," Working Papers hal-00916674, HAL.
- Bornemann, Sven & Kick, Thomas & Memmel, Christoph & Pfingsten, Andreas, 2012.
"Are banks using hidden reserves to beat earnings benchmarks? Evidence from Germany,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2403-2415.
- Bornemann, Sven & Kick, Thomas & Memmel, Christoph & Pfingsten, Andreas, 2010. "Are banks using hidden reserves to beat earnings benchmarks? Evidence from Germany," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2010,13, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Mohammad Reza Dalvi & Ebrahim Baghi, 2013. "Survey of Profit Smoothing through the Sale of Corporate Assets," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 3(4), pages 208-214, October.
- Lepetit, Laetitia & Strobel, Frank & Dickinson, David G., 2012. "Does uncertainty matter for loan charge-offs?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 264-277.
- Stergios Leventis & Panagiotis Dimitropoulos, 2012. "The role of corporate governance in earnings management: experience from US banks," Journal of Applied Accounting Research, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(2), pages 161-177.
- Ester Gras-Gil & Salvador Marin-Hernandez & Domingo Garcia-Perez de Lema, 2012. "Internal audit and financial reporting in the Spanish banking industry," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(8), pages 728-753.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.